[p2p-research] Fwd: More on the Supply and Demand Curve

Stan Rhodes stanleyrhodes at gmail.com
Thu Jul 2 09:13:23 CEST 2009

Paul, a quick reply: the assertion that "a specific key assumption of
macroeconomics [is] (infinite demand for consumer goods and services)" is
incorrect.  You may find it a worthwhile exercise to challenge your
assumptions using the existing literature out there.  Also, no one really
practices what's known as "classical economics" anymore, although it's not
always easy to know what good economists DO practice, because it often
defies easy labeling.

Demand curves are for a specific commodity, and are created using data
(known as a demand schedule). They do not assume infinite anything.

Aggregate demand and aggregate supply models also depend on data, with many
factors affecting the aggregate demand curve (consumer confidence, money
supply, wealth, etc).  Again, nothing infinite applies.

I realize you were not intentionally creating a strawman, but wanting to
think through economic issues.  Macroeconomics tries to use aggregate
indicators to model economies, but the complexity presents an incredible
challenge.  We're in the midst of coalescing economic theory right now, as
behavioral and experimental economics smash into previous syntheses like the
"New-Keynesian" school.

Empirical economists seem to know that macro is generally a big fuzzy area.
While many people profess a particular belief in a particular policy, when
gently pressed on the empirical basis for models, they seem to admit a lot
of simplifications and assumptions.  Those with reasonable approaches that
admit these flaws don't receive much public exposure.

I've never read Marshall Brain's book, but if he presents conclusions from
some thought-experiment, the assumptions in that experiment should be judged
independently.  The "automation means unemployment" theory has no empirical
support.  Unemployment is not positively correlated with automation at all.
  When people are free to work on other projects because of automation, they
work where automation isn't possible or economical.  There are many ways to
crack this nut, so you may want to consider attempting to disprove Brain's
claims, and see if such attempts bring additional insight.  I don't mean
Devil's Advocate, but true investigative skepticism, rooted in uncommitted
curiosity.

-- Stan