[p2p-research] Donation Networks

Samuel Rose samuel.rose at gmail.com
Sat Jan 24 23:08:42 CET 2009

Chris, it makes sense.

Actually, your suggestion is a plausible way of creating a pilot project.
Except that in the case of 5 people, or a small amount in close proximity,
they may not even need a currency. They could simply create a multi-way grid
direct wired to one another, perhaps also regulated by some switches/relays
to account for potential overloads in the physical circuits. If all are
producing power rather consistently, they could just meet one anothers
demand with system surplus as needed. Storage could also be used, such as a
battery system to pool energy created.

Maybe it is that Marc's proposed system is really targettd towards scaling
up to several hundred or more participants.

Also, don't forget, Chris, that you need not only proximity, but also a
power grid that is configured for "2 way metering". Without this, there
would be no way to participate. Not to mention that pretty much all existing
grids are heavily regulated. So, any practical project of this nature would
need to work through government and public utility systems.

On Sat, Jan 24, 2009 at 4:56 PM, Chris Watkins <chriswaterguy at appropedia.org