[p2p-research] Donation Networks

Chris Watkins chriswaterguy at appropedia.org
Sat Jan 24 22:56:31 CET 2009

I'd be interested in trying it - but if you hope to try it out with only 5
people, I think they would need much more intensive interactions. E.g. they
would need to be neighbors, workmates, or friends who physically close.

If I'm on a different continent from most of the participants, I'll only
experience substantial interaction as the network gets much bigger.

On Sat, Jan 24, 2009 at 14:52, Samuel Rose <samuel.rose at gmail.com> wrote:

> What you are working on is interesting, for sure.
>
> How would 5 people go about trying your system right now? Reason that I ask
> is that I think I could *find* 5 people interested in trying it, if it is
> within their means to participate.
>

> On Sat, Jan 24, 2009 at 3:49 PM, marc fawzi <marc.fawzi at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> It's a given that it will work, but I thought you're asking about what
>> makes certain experiments sustainable while others run aground after a
>> while.
>>
>> It's also given that _some_ people will continue to sacrifice self for the
>> benefit of the whole and for reward in the future ... This is sort of what
>> everyone on this list is doing.
>>
>> As far as a "system for sharing surplus" my favored view is a system for
>> trading surplus (using the-more-you-share-the-more-you-have logic) because I
>> think that is a more efficient form of sharing.
>>
>> I think the model design, not the world view, is what's different between
>> what you're doing now and what I'm working on for the long term.
>>

>> On Sat, Jan 24, 2009 at 12:40 PM, Samuel Rose <samuel.rose at gmail.com>wrote:
>>
>>> What I am proposing is no currency at all.
>>>
>>> It is a way of measuring the health of a system that is recognized as a
>>> "Commons".
>>>
>>> More replies follow...

>>> I am actually doing this on a small scale with real people in the near
>>> future, and seeing what emerges.  I have people currently interested in
>>> doing it.

>>> People have been giving things to one another for hundreds of thousands
>>> of years.
>>>
>>> People have even created systems for giving to each other ("potlatch" is
>>> one example).
>>>
>>> Giving and sharing have been a basic part of human survival since the
>>> very first humans.
>>>
>>> The model that I operate with is explicitly not based on high ideals. In
>>> fact, it is based on mostly on actual agent-based models. Particularly, it
>>> is based on an Altruism model descended from the work of R. Axelrod, which
>>> shows success thresholds even when pressure from all factors is high,
>>> provided that cost of "altruism" is low.

>>> The model that I am proposing will appeal to some specific world views.
>>> In particular, those described by CW Graves as "Sacrifice Self for Reward
>>> Later", and "Sacrifice Self So That All May Gain Now".
>>>
>>> Human nature is not limited to physiological survival (I assume you are
>>> referring to physiological survival), and "discovery". Bio-Psycho-Social
>>> systems also reveal patterns related to psychological survival, social
>>> sustainability, and prediction/foresight.
>>>
>>> There is an unlimited, evolving, exponentially expanding spectrum of
>>> fundamental assumptions of existence associated with human nature that go
>>> beyond base needs, such as survival (as there are significant amounts of
>>> people who are not totally focused on basic physiological survival).

> [...]

Chris Watkins (a.k.a. Chriswaterguy)

Appropedia.org - Sharing knowledge to build rich, sustainable lives.

identi.ca/appropedia / twitter.com/appropedia
blogs.appropedia.org

I like this: five.sentenc.es