[p2p-research] Donation Networks

marc fawzi marc.fawzi at gmail.com
Sat Jan 24 20:15:08 CET 2009

<<
On Sat, Jan 24, 2009 at 8:37 AM, Samuel Rose <samuel.rose at gmail.com> wrote:

> Ps. an important question: what happened to p2paid? Why did the site
> activity seem to stop after a while? I beleive it is important to know why
> some projects like this succeed and some seem to lose momentum. It looks
> like a very noble effort.

Hey Sam,

1. I had actually casually suggested that tokenizing emotional energy using
"thank you" notes as currency is the ultimate un-money, but I have found out
after 3 months of thinking
<http://p2pfoundation.net/P2P_Energy_Economy>that such currency would
work best (or most realistically) with goods and
services that can be produced and delivered in abundance and on sustainable
basis. More exactly, those that can be produced and delivered on continuous,
scalable, distributed basis. For example, digital content, peer-manufactured
goods made entirely from renewable resources (and that are produced
independently by many peers, certain distributed digital services (think
Mechanical Turk) etc.

2. It is not sufficient to construct a nobel model based on high ideals.
People are driven by two continuous subconscious needs: survival and/or
discovery. Both of these needs need to be met, IMO, for a lasting dynamic to
emerge.

You can say that life itself provides the survival and discovery plots, but
that's why it's hard to bring people into a new place where opportunities
for survival and discovery are very limited.

That's actually where I am in the design of P2P Energy
Economy<http://p2pfoundation.net/P2P_Energy_Economy>.
Specifically, I've found out that the existing money creates a great
opportunity for experiencing a survival game by enforcing scarcity, and if
we come up with an epi-economy or "epiconomy" (a higher level economy that
lays on top of the existing one) that is predicated on sustainable abundance
then I think it needs to contain a discovery game within that
counter-balances the survival game going on in the existing economy.

3. There are other issues to designing a new kind of economy that apply to
what you're doing as well as what I'm working on, but I need to think about
them some more.

Marc