[p2p-research] two competing interpretations of Alan Fiske

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 24 05:01:37 CET 2009

Dear David and Alan,

just a quick remark about my opinion that both david's and my interpretation
may be compatible with what you say here.

Let me explain:

1) tribal hunter-gathering societies start with CS

2) as they get more complex and inter-related in to 'tribal societies' with
surpluses and chiefs etc ... AR and EM kick in.

I think that in this case, AR is political authority, but not the kind of
hierarchical allocation of resources that we have i later class based
societies, and that EM is the mechanism for inter-clan and inter-tribal
'economic' exchange ...

In my view, this is the literature I have been reading, and which describes
this particular stage of developed tribal society, before the consolidated
class societies kick in,

(that EM would become dominant only after manufacturing is something I
cannot square with any ofthe gift literature I have been reading and doesn't
make any sense to me at the moment)

Michel