[p2p-research] Fwd: Viral Spiral is published!

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 19 14:42:50 CET 2009

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: David Bollier <david at bollier.org>
Date: Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 9:06 PM
Subject: Viral Spiral is published!
To: undisclosed-recipients

 Dear Friends of the Commons,

I am pleased to report that my new book, *Viral Spiral:  How the Commoners
Built a Digital Republic of Their Own*, has been published by New Press.
For more info -- and downloads of a Creative Commons-licensed version -- you
may go to www.viralspiral.cc.  Printed copies are available for purchase
from the usual stores and online retailers.

Best,
David

  [image: Viral Spiral]

A stunning narrative history of the rise of the digital commons
— and why it matters to our economy, culture and democracy.

If you look closely, you can see the new "sharing economy" emerging.
Ordinary people are using digital technologies to invent diverse sorts of
commons, a new paradigm for generating individual and community wealth. This
bottom-up revolution can be seen in free and open source software, Creative
Commons licenses, Wikipedia, remix music, amateur videos and fascinating
innovations in open science, open education and "open business." Reporting
from the heart of this "free culture" movement, journalist and activist
David Bollier provides the first comprehensive history of the commoners'
struggle to invent a new digital republic — a realm that honors freedom,
participation, social equity and innovation.

"A thoroughly delightful and penetrating analysis of the different twists
and turns made in creating our current digital commons."

—JOHN SEELY BROWN,
co-chairman of the Deloitte Center for Edge Innovation
and former director of Xerox Palo Alto Research Center (PARC)

 "For the netizen who wants to navigate the turmoil of the digital republic,
*Viral Spiral* shows how free we can actually make culture in our
media-drenched information society."

—PAUL D. MILLER, aka DJ Spooky

 "David Bollier's masterful work brings clarity and understanding in the
epic struggle to secure the blessings of freedom in cyberspace for ourselves
and our posterity. You need this book, and the commons needs you."

—NORMAN LEAR

 "*Viral Spiral* weaves a rich tapestry, depicting the rise of the idea of
the commons and the emergence of the information commons in wonderful
detail, from the perspective of a highly sympathetic observer."

—YOCHAI BENKLER, professor at Harvard Law School and
the author of *The Wealth of Networks*

[image: David Bollier]*DAVID BOLLIER* has worked for twenty-five years as a
journalist, activist, and public policy analyst. He is editor of
OntheCommons.org <http://www.OntheCommons.org> and cofounder of Public
Knowledge, a public interest advocacy organization dedicated to defending
the information commons. He is also Senior Fellow at the Norman Lear Center,
USC Annenberg School for Communication. Bollier is the author of numerous
highly praised books, including *Brand Name Bullies: The Quest to Own and
Control Culture* and *Silent Theft: The Private Plunder of Our Common Wealth
*.

Learn more at ViralSpiral.cc <http://www.viralspiral.cc/about-book>

The New Press, www.thenewpress.com. ISBN 978-1-59558-369-3. 352 pages.
$26.95
For publicity inquiries, email publicity at thenewpress.com.
  [image: The Commons] <http://onthecommons.org/>

--
The P2P Foundation researches, documents and promotes peer to peer
alternatives.

Basic essay at http://www.ctheory.net/articles.aspx?id=499; interview at
http://poynder.blogspot.com/2006/09/p2p-very-core-of-world-to-come.html
BEST VIDEO ON P2P: