[p2p-research] Fwd: LittleSis, open research into power structures

Kevin Carson free.market.anticapitalist at gmail.com
Sun Jan 18 20:40:15 CET 2009

On 1/16/09, Michel Bauwens <michelsub2004 at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]

C. Wright Mills and G. William Domhoff founded this approach of
mapping social ties between individual members of the elite.

The phenomenon is especially visible at the local level.  Most
metropolitan areas have a nominally private "civic" organization that
acts as a shadow government.  Where I live, it's the Northwest
Arkansas Council, made up of representatives of the local government,
university, and large corporations headquartered in the area (Tyson,
Wal-Mart, J.B. Hunt trucking, and Jim Lindsey real estate); it's the
single most powerful influence on local government, lobbying for
subsidized infrastructure and other corporate welfare--often actually
drafting the legislation and getting it passed on an emergency basis
without public debate.  Anyway, it's the same individuals who move
back and forth, in a revolving door, between city councils and county
commissions, chambers of commerce, intergovernmental authorities, and
the NWA Council.  What it amounts to is that we have a democracy on
paper, but in the real world we're serfs to this group of people.

--
Kevin Carson
Mutualist Blog:  Free Market Anti-Capitalism