[p2p-research] Yi-Tan Tech Community Call 214 - The Meaning of Clouds - 1:30pm EST, Monday January 19, 2009

marc fawzi marc.fawzi at gmail.com
Sun Jan 18 19:26:22 CET 2009

I would be interested in discussing IPv6 built-in point-to-point tunneling
over TCP/IP (for PCs and mobile devices) as it relates to P2P Cloud ...

I view the centralized cloud as a sham: a ploy to concentrate power in the
hands of companies that can afford to have massive data centers, like
Google, Amazon, MS, etc ...

Currently P2P cloud is only possible on non-mobile devices via UDP hole
punching (and reliable UDP, e.g. see Azureus DHT, Skype, etc, and uTorrent
which I believe now uses UDP as a file transfer protocol not just for DHT)
On mobile devices the carrier's gateway only let in TCP traffic so it's
impossible to have a P2P Cloud at the moment, and it's the last reason in my
drawer for why centrally owned clouds should exist (e.g. Dean's idea for
offloading mobile processing to personal cloud in a data center,) but with
IPv6 it is possible to have a P2P Cloud for both PCs and mobile devices.