[p2p-research] IPv6 point-to-point tunneling: a major bonus for P2P developers

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 18 13:44:08 CET 2009

Hi Marc,

nobody is covering it, so your piece would be very welcome, just make sure
that at least one or two main paragraphs are understandable by the
non-technical layperson,

(I for one cannot understand what you've written)

Michel

On Sat, Jan 17, 2009 at 12:42 PM, marc fawzi <marc.fawzi at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Michel,
>
> Let me know if no one has blogged this, so I can go blog it on P2Pf.
>
> ~~
>
> One of the hardest things (for a developer) making a new P2P application is
> having to deal with the inexact science of TCP/IP NAT traversal (which works
> only 50% of the time or less, depending on the NAT hardware), UDP hole
> punching (which does not work with Symmetric NAT used by business users and
> which leaves developers having to develop their own secure, reliable UDP
> based protocol or isolate the transport code from open source,
> application-specific UDP protocols like this one<http://azureuswiki.com/index.php/DistributedTrackerAndDatabase>from Azureus) or use UPnP (and the Mac OS X equavelant) which presents a
> major secuirty risk to users. Skype, BitTorrent and all P2P apps that use a
> direct PC-to-PC connection over the Internet have their own reliable, secure
> UDP based transport.
>
> I just realized today that with IPv6 there is built-in support for
> point-to-point tunneling (via NAT) over TCP (which is already a reliable
> protocol and can be used with SSL etc for securing communication) which
> means it solves the P2P connectivity since all IPv6 networking hardware must
> support it by default.
>
> I know I may be late to catch up with this fact about IPv6, especially
> since I (or rather my former team) spent quite a bit of time last year
> trying to build reliable, secure UDP protocol for a P2P application), but I
> think that by 2010 the US will have began to move to IPv6 on substantial
> scale.
>
> ~~
> I am also wondering if there is some anti-P2P politics going on that are
> hindering IPv6 adoption in the US, or it's just the expected inertia of
> hundreds of millions (or billions) of IPv4 network nodes that would have to
> be upgraded...
>
> In any case, IPv6 would be a major boon to P2P application development.
>
> Marc

The P2P Foundation researches, documents and promotes peer to peer
alternatives.

Basic essay at http://www.ctheory.net/articles.aspx?id=499; interview at
http://poynder.blogspot.com/2006/09/p2p-very-core-of-world-to-come.html
BEST VIDEO ON P2P: