[p2p-research] p2presearch Digest, Vol 15, Issue 26

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 13 15:53:17 CET 2009

I haven't really followed it up Matt, just through this:
http://delicious.com/mbauwens/VRM

doc searls would be one of the key people to contact I guess,

not sure how far john clippinger and david weinberger are involved,

Michel

On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 5:01 AM, Matt Cooperrider <mattcooperrider at gmail.com
> wrote:

> Are folks here familiar with Berkman's VRM project?
>
> http://projectvrm.org
>
> For this discussion particular:
>
> http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/projectvrm/Main_Page#VRM_Principles
>
> Also, as usual, P2P Foundation page summarizes it better than the home
> site:
>
> http://p2pfoundation.net/Vendor_Relationship_Management
>
> Just tryin' to weave the ol' network...
>
> MC
>
> On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 4:48 PM, <p2presearch-request at listcultures.org>wrote:
>

>> Bryan re-iterates a good and increasingly popular point regarding the idea
>> of users having authority over access to their OWN data as opposed to
>> commercial interests using that data for profit, which will always happen,
>> one way or another, unless the user is the gatekeeper to their own data.
>>
>> My own somewhat unique view on the social data debate has been that we
>> need
>> an encrypted Social ID card that is purchased blank from Staples or
>> WalMart
>> and populated by the user with their social graph. The card would be much
>> like the electronic cards that companies give their employees to access
>> their VPN (virtual private network.)
>>
>> It's been my view that services like Facebook, GoogleConnect, MySpace, and
>> all services requiring user data must authorize with the USER (the owners
>> of
>> the data) and be granted access by the user. Currently the plastic ID
>> cards
>> we have for functioning within society have nothing to do with the online
>> world, and that is a good thing, yet there is an increasing need to have
>> an
>> secure Social ID card that lists our name, as we choose it (i.e. actual,
>> alias, nick, etc), and all our relationships that also contains our
>> authentication info (like a global ID) and that can be used just like
>> current VPN secure access cards.
>>
>> No company on earth should hold information about my social graph (no
>> matter
>> how open) and once I own my social graph and have it go everywhere with me
>> (with backup of encrypted data on my PC) I may even charge services like
>> Facebook for accessing it. Like wise I could store all the pages I visited
>> (optional, you don't have to) and charge advertisers for accessing that
>> info
>> on my Social ID card so that they can give me targetted advertising for
>> which they make money. RIght now Google is literally STEALING that data
>> from
>> users by having users consent to it without telling the users that Google
>> actually PROFITS from that data. Facebook also profits from having my
>> social
>> graph data and that of 100 million other users. If users pull their data
>> out
> [...]

The P2P Foundation researches, documents and promotes peer to peer
alternatives.

Basic essay at http://www.ctheory.net/articles.aspx?id=499; interview at
http://poynder.blogspot.com/2006/09/p2p-very-core-of-world-to-come.html
BEST VIDEO ON P2P: