[p2p-research] is this the open social graph we have been waiting for?

Bryan Bishop kanzure at gmail.com
Mon Jan 12 04:12:08 CET 2009

On Sun, Jan 11, 2009 at 8:03 PM, Michel Bauwens <michelsub2004 at gmail.com> wrote:
> This looks promising: http://www.cliqset.com/, it says all social data
> belong to the user and the system is built on that promise ...

Characteristics of an 'open social graph' that I would start with:

* users host something like lighttpd, a light-weight http daemon
except for 'social data services', or some module to the apache web
server, or something similar to this.
* social networking occurs maybe via FOAF(?)
* crawlers and other data mining services (third parties) can be
allowed to access user data on web pages (etc.) or not (robots.txt
exclusion rule)

But for some reason everyone into "social networking" is into
submitting their data to some central website, instead of the
traditional method of submitting CNAME and MAIL-server records to DNS
hosts. Just layers and layers of solving the same problem in different
ways, if you ask me.

- Bryan
http://heybryan.org/
1 512 203 0507