[p2p-research] Co-Owned Public Peer Property

marc fawzi marc.fawzi at gmail.com
Sat Feb 28 21:28:33 CET 2009

<<
Are you saying there is not enough benefit from co-ownership to make
it worth these complexities?

Not at all. Co-ownership is a choice people should be able to make just like
any other choice.

But people should be able to decide between collective and individual choice
making or other types of choice making.

So I may choose individual choice fr one thing and collective choice for
another thing, even completely arbitrarily. It's my choice.

In the immaterial world of digital content, ownership has zero meaning.
Maybe that is because digital content is abundant and if open software
production (and open software as a product) is made sustainably abundant
(see one proposal on 'discussion tab' of the P2P Energy Economy wiki) then
we will get rid of ownership both explicit and implicit (the corporations
that fund free software production basically are the implicit owners, e.g.
Google and Firefox. Google even hired the top talent from Firefox team to
work on Chrome!!! so they can have even more control over the browser)

So we need to move toward systems that enable sustainable abundance as much
as possible. It's a uniting theme and one that makes a lot of sense
analytically and politically, although it's perceived as 'new age nonsense'
by most people who cannot think for themselves and are stuck to the idea
that scarcity is only natural, when in fact the biggest reasons for scarcity
are the way human economy is designed and the fact that everyone assumes
that it's the way it has to be. In other words, we're running against eons
of ingrained assumptions on the other side... So we need to simplify the
argument and recognize the paces where people are hurting (e.g. interest and
gambling) and start rallying people against those two 'evils' ... a moral
revolution not an intellectual one.