[p2p-research] Co-Owned Public Peer Property

Patrick Anderson agnucius at gmail.com
Sat Feb 28 16:58:38 CET 2009

marc fawzi wrote:
> Collective production is great but people sometimes desire to be unique
> and to make unique individual choices that others may not agree to.

I've been trying to think about how to answer this, but keep making
too many assumptions...

Are you saying there is not enough benefit from co-ownership to make
it worth these complexities?

When I say "co-ownership" I am talking about some group choosing to
invest and hold some physical property for their own benefit.  I'm NOT
talking about every human on Earth having a say in that investment -
only those who paid would have a say (a vote), and that vote would
naturally be weighted by the amount of ownership they paid for.

Some examples that already occur:
1.) Some people joint-purchase an RV (Motor Home) so they can pay only costs.

2.) People used to co-own vacation homes before the Time-Share
industry organized to take that over for the purpose of charging more
than cost.

3.) Co-purchasing an airplane allows the group of owners to share it
amongst themselves - hiring a pilot to operate it if necessary, but
realizing great savings compared to rental.

Co-ownership allows each of us to invest in industry that would
otherwise be out of reach because of financial constraints.

The capitalists are already using the strength of co-ownership against
us when the joint-invest in for-profit corporations.

Without co-ownership we will be forced to do everything on our own,
without any intradependence.

The Capitalists will infiltrate any community we try to establish -
just as they currently do - when they buy the land, water rights,
networks, restaurants, meeting places, grocery stores, shopping malls,
farms, factories, etc. that are more efficiently owned by more than
one person.

Once they own that infrastructure, and if we are not "pushing against
it" by organizing and co-owning for ourselves, then we will be overrun
as usual.

Single-ownership is important for Personal property, but for as long
as we continue to resist solving this problem we will be at the mercy
of those that use it against us.

Patrick