[p2p-research] [p2p energy economy] Re: How the Derivatives Market Jumped of a Cliff On Its Way to a Party

Dante-Gabryell Monson dante.monson at gmail.com
Sat Feb 28 14:41:26 CET 2009

*" Why don't we see a grassroots movement to abolish financial gambling
markets? "*

to very much an extent, you will find such kind of
alter-globalization<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alter-globalization>grassroot
( or
netroots <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netroots> ? or rhizomatic ? )
movements converging through ecologies/brands such as ATTAC

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATTAC

which initially was created to demand taxation of speculation on stock
markets ( "tobin tax" ).

But then, it may not simply be the stock market, but also the current
mainstream monetary creation architecture - the way money is created.

further notes :

As I currently understand it:
fiat currency created through fractional
reserve<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fractional-reserve_banking>banking
; debt with interest needing ever more economic growth ( and new
markets, including speculative markets ) to create more debt with interest
to cover the interest owed to the banks,
monopolized by a few currencies by a globalized banking system cartel;
This, from my current point of view, creating the foundations, and even the
need for such pyramidal gambling structure.

It might also be interesting to understand what we would want to define as
speculation <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speculation>.
Simply by accepting fiat
currency<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiat_currency>for a service or a
product I offer, I might, through trusting the potential
guarantee on such units ( as for example the guarantee to pay taxes with it
? ) , be speculating that these units can be used for other exchange
purposes in a near or distant future ?

Hence it might be interesting to have monetary creation systems with full
transparency to all as to what or who guarantees, and what we deem being of
value for a guarantee.  It also opens up the question of property, and
accumulation of property, hence also the question of the commons. For
example, Can individuals or entities accumulating property beyond their own
use value needs responsibly guarantee / speculate (?)  their property in the
interest of social and ecological well being and sustainability for all ?

I feel such questions lead us back to ecologies such as p2pfoundation or the
transitioner , which serve as aggregators for individuals with questions and
potential alternatives for ( holoptic? - as opposed to
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panopticon ) distributed systems, towards
increased ( emergent ? ) collective intelligence ?

ps: I mentionned ATTAC, just to name one of the possibly current best known
alter-globalization convergence "brands" focusing on questions of finance in
western europe and beyond / apparently active in about 40 countries in the
world.

But there are others.

Possibly one may also want to mention other thinkthanks / thinknets

http://www.greeneconomics.org.uk/

http://www.neweconomics.org/gen/

Also ... some of us here connected through p2pf ecologies ? ( around
http://p2pfoundation.net , http://blog.p2pfoundation.net ,
http://p2pfoundation.ning.com/ )

and ( perhaps ? ) one may also mention some of our friends working on
complementary currencies / alternative monetary creation systems - might be
worth double checking what kind of speculative aspects might be included in
various financial architectures proposed by each - :

http://wiki.thetransitioner.org/ , open coin, bit coin, lietaer with
terra's<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terra_Currency>, ... you, me ?
... :-)