[p2p-research] Google to tear down social networking walls

Samuel Rose samuel.rose at gmail.com
Fri Feb 27 17:12:51 CET 2009

On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 11:07 PM, Michel Bauwens <michelsub2004 at gmail.com>wrote:

> tough road, but many young people seem to understand it intuitively, as in
> the emerging open design world,
>
> Michel

I honestly don't know if the road is any more tough than the traditional
routes to success, at least in terms of cost, energy expended.

I am already personally seeing more success as a networked independent who
works with FLOSS than I ever did working for any company. I think that it is
still early for physical production of copylefted design. But, there are
already many people moving in this direction, too.

I can imagine that a role for people literate in Peer to Peer concepts and
practice, to work with people who are now being laid off from dying
industries and outdated jobs are looking for something to turn to, and
commons-based economies are a great fit for many, many people. Many of them
just don't know where to start.

It's my opinion that people who create and sustain commons-based economies
will be able to sustain themselves through the changes that we are now going
through. Commons based economies actually allow growth to shift to areas
that were neglected (like impoverished people, local systems). So, there are
tremendous opportunities right now for people who have a literacy and
practical knowledge in commons-based systems.

One of the components missing a way to make ethics within these systems more
transparent and integral in the basic function of economies. It's my opinion
that commons-based economies will die without addressing and sustain ethical
values for participants.

In short, I think this road is tougher only because we have not yet put
together a practical set of building blocks for people to adopt and grow
from. I think we are getting closer, though. I think we don't have too much
further to go.

--
Sam Rose
Social Synergy
email: samuel.rose at gmail.com
http://socialsynergyweb.org/network
http://socialmediaclassroom.com
http://localfoodsystems.org
http://openfarmtech.org
http://notanemployee.net
http://communitywiki.org

"Long ago, we brought you all this fire.
Do not imagine we are still chained to that rock...."

http://notanemployee.net/