[p2p-research] Fwd: Launch of Abundance: The Journal of Post-Scarcity Studies, preliminary plans

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 25 15:53:02 CET 2009

hI Christian, thanks for your precisions.

I think I probably do agree with most of your arguments here,

though when you say that such trading eventually leads to capitalism, I have
to disagree, as the historical record shows that such markets  operated for
thousands of years subsumed to broader self-sufficiency oriented production
regimes, probably also regulated to stay limited in scope.

 the current context is even more important

the context is that we now have a fully capitalist system, with a
particularly dysfunctional monetary and financial system, which has an
in-built tendency towards infinite growth and accumulation

the forces that are against this state are relatively weak, and democratic
capitalism has a high degree of acceptance and legitimacy

In this context, replacing this particularly negative protocol, which one
that has much more positive outcomes, should not be judged whether such a
system in isolation would eventually lead to capitalism, but whether in this
concrete context, it leads to a situation which is more acceptable to those
using it.

My take is that taking control of the production of money, using different
design principles, is a definitive advance for a community using them.

I think that here the historical record is quite clear, as you can read for
example in the treatment by Bernard Lietaer:

- civilisations using this type of money where thriving, for example the
first medieval renaissance between the 10th and the 13th century

- cities and regions using them in times of great crisis, such as the
Depression era US, and the same era in Germany, Austria, etc... where doing
very well compared to their surroundings

- and today, the usage of the WIR by 65,000 small businesses in Switzerland
has had a proven and measurable counter-cyclical effect

Despite its marginal size, the LETS movement, and other similar experiences,
are generally producing good results in the communities using them. Despite
their limitations, the growth pattern has been steady.

I think that if we combine this empirical experience, with an integration in
a more systematic endeavour of the 'distribution of everything', in
production of software, energy grids, etc ... that these elements can be
strengthened even more.

In that way, monetary transformation becomes part of a much larger change.

So, in the current context, usage of socially produced money under different
protocols lead to a healthier economic life, is embedded in value systems
that are sympathetic to p2p evolution, and can be regulated to minimize
outcomes such as the one you describe

Finally, in the current context, the aim is not to have a system where the
market is primary, but in the process of a change towards a pluralistic
economy that has as its core the peer to peer logic of non-reciprocal
exchange.

We need to find peer-informed ways of exchange, gift, and centralized
allocation, that are congruent with the peer to peer dynamic, and the direct
social production of money is congruent with that goal.

(If your own system is a superior way to deal with the allocation of scarce
goods, it will be tried and prove itself and be emulated if workable and
succesful, and may then be one of the ways in which an alternative to the
market may emerge)

Michel

Volunteering at the P2P Foundation:
http://p2pfoundation.ning.com