[p2p-research] List of articles on Indium/Gallium Supplies

marc fawzi marc.fawzi at gmail.com
Wed Feb 25 08:40:42 CET 2009

It's really not an attack on anyone's work.

I am just SURPRISED and PUZZLED by the claim that several key
technologies vital to telecom, high frequency electronics and weapon
systems will have to be replaced in the next 15 years.

1 - GaAs FETs (Gallium Arsenide Field Effect Transistors which are
everywhere in telecom equipment, cell phones and sll high-frequency
electronics, including HDTV broadcast equipment and TVs)

2 - GaAS IR laser diodes in all DVD players and in military electronics

3- GaN FETs as the basis for post-silicon microchips that can continue
to uphold Moore's law (there are other more exotic alternatives to
silicon but not sure if the fab processes are as well developed, so I
would have some concern or at least questions to answer if Gallium was
indeed running out, i.e. how will we continue to uphold Moore's law
realistically speaking in the next 25 years?)

4 - Indium (as ITO) in all LCD displays  (I am less concerned with
availability of Indium for LCD displays since organic LEDs are the
future of flat panel displays an they are already here and in
production in a growing flat panel displays)

5 - Indium in new generation solar cells, including radiation hardened
ones used in satellites (I'm  quite concerned here because hundreds of
millions of dollars have gone into developing InGaN, InN, and InGaP
based solar panels specifically for more efficient solar cells and
besides photosynthesis I have no clue if there is a replacement for
Indium on the horizon)

In other words, if the claim that we're running out has any truth to
it, it would wreck havoc on telecom, HDTV, high efficiency solar cells
and weapon systems production.

The next step in this debate is to get the analysis and the data used
in the analysis from those who are promoting the conclusion that we
are running out of gallium (and indium although the latter would be a
much more confined disruption), whomever they had gotten it from in
the first place.

It's not a big deal to look at an analysis and consider it carefully.
It may be the story of the century and would make first page on Wired
and IEEE Times if it's true.

Marc