[p2p-research] List of articles on Indium/Gallium Supplies

marc fawzi marc.fawzi at gmail.com
Mon Feb 23 23:56:12 CET 2009

When a certain resource hits that peak point, the search intensifies
for a substitute.

In the case of solar cells, the _substitute_ may be in the form of a
radically new technology based on photosynthesis + fuel cells (see MIT
press release in the previous message to this thread) which does not
involve silicon or gallium.

So the point that I want to make is that we cannot say that since
gallium and indium is running out then we should forget "solar energy"
altogether. The sun is an almost infinite source of energy. Once we
perfect how we draw power from the sun, e.g. using photosynthesis like
all plants have been doing since the birth of this planet, sustainable
abundance in solar energy generation will be possible.

And in the short term, enough gallium supplies exist, so sounding the
alarm without offering an alternative is what the problem is in my own
view. It's one thing to sound the alarm and at the same time offer an
alternative. It's a completely different thing to sound the alarm and
offer no alternative (for solar energy generation).

Having said that, sounding the alarm now maybe a bit premature to the
point where suppliers not faced with actual depletion conditions will
use the fear to raise prices and the victims will be all the solar
cell companies who are trying to lessen our dependence on fossil fuels
so this whole "alarm sounding" act with respect to gallium and indium
may be an attempt by Big Oil or other interests to kill the home solar
energy market before it starts.

Why not focus our "alarm raising" efforts on clean coal,
environmentally damaging oil drilling, and nuclear energy and give the
solar energy industry a break? After all, the solar energy industry is
the industry that will invest in new ideas for harvesting the sun's
power. Those ideas won't come from the clean coal or nuclear or oil
industries.

Sounding the alarm on gallium and indium now without hyping up the
story is OK as long as A) we don't knock down an industry that is
trying to lessen our dependence on fossil fuels and B) we accompany
our alarm sounding with new ideas for getting energy efficiency from
the sun.

Otherwise, we're helping Big Oil, Clean Coal, and Nuclear industries
by creating an alarmist atmosphere around the solar energy industry
whereas what we need to create is hope in its future (think:
photosynthesis, solar cooking, solar heating, etc)

That's my opinion of course and I realize everyone has one :-)

Marc