[p2p-research] [p2pf] Millenia Award for P2P Foundation

marc fawzi marc.fawzi at gmail.com
Sat Feb 21 05:03:39 CET 2009

Hi Michel,

Obama talks about the "audacity of hope" but in your case it's the
audacity of very hard work for no or very little material return.

This award is more than well deserved and I hope the Foundation gets
recognized on a broader scale.

I'd like to piggy back on this opportunity to discuss the Foundation
in a greater scope and ask if the "commons" model can encompass direct
reciprocal exchanges, using new kind of niche currencies that sustain
the abundance of the given resource in a given market as well as
broader efforts aiming to realize the same goal of sustainable
abundance.

For example, direct reciprocal exchange in cpu and man hours for open
software and open software development. While the model is still being
worked out, the question I have that remains relevant at the high
level is:

Can the model of the commons be, which seems to be the core of the
Foundation's belief system, act as an umbrella for all kinds of
experimental exchange models that aim to take us closer to sustainable
abundance in autonomy, freedom, goods, and services and that do not
violate (and actually promote) the moral and social principles of the
commons ?

The reason I am asking is because I see "sustainable abundance" in
psychic (freedom, autonomy, etc), virtual and (renewable) materials as
requiring a more efficient and more scalable model than those
currently encompassed by the generalized exchange model.

In other words, if new experimental exchange models can b reconciled
both morally and socially with the principles behind the model of the
commons then are such models welcomed within the Foundation's core
agenda? or how would you describe the agenda more generally so that
such efforts can be part of it?

Thank you again for your incredibly dedicated effort to move forward
the Foundation and what it stands for, and congratulations to you and
all who have contributed time and effort.

Marc