[p2p-research] Millenia Award for P2P Foundation

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 21 04:08:16 CET 2009

Via John La Grou and http://www.millenniamediagroup.com/foundation/ppm.php :

Dear friends,

They seem to be very low key about it, but in any case, I'm happy to receive
it and since this is in many ways a collective endeavour, it's an award for
all of us, the many contributors who have 'peer produced' through
contributions and dialogue, the material at the P2P Foundation and its
attempt to foster a new phase in human civilisation, based on open and free,
participatory, and commons oriented principles.

For our secular friends, the origin of the award may seem somewhat
surprising, since the Millenia Award is a foundation associated with
'progressive evangelicals' (home church movement, open anabaptism, green
evangelicals, and similar movements). By the way, the  Acts of the Apostles
may have been the first explicit peer to peer document? (this may show my
lack of historical awareness?)

In any case, I'm very honoured that we have been perceived by such community
as a bridge maker, thanks to all for your assistance and attention
throughout these first years of our existence,

Michel Bauwens

(PPM refers to personal participatory media)

Here is how they justify it:

"Excellence in PPM invites passionate dialogue while remaining hospitable,
charitable, and beneficial to all participants. Millennia Awards are given
to PPM communities which bridge superficial cultural and religious divides -
exploring commonality as much as difference; maintaining fresh, creative,
missional formats accessible and relevant to a diverse audience; remaining
sensitive to our shared humanity and common need for grace as we learn and
grow together."*Personal Participatory Media*

The Millennia Foundation views Participatory Media as the "new printing
press" - an emerging global venue in which ideas and imagination, not
structural or positional power, moderate cultural dialogue. PPM encourages
an emancipation of knowledge and personal responsibility, reawakening dreams
buried in the slumber of institutional hierarchy and control. Wisdom (see
Proverbs) is the new gatekeeper and community is reborn as a network of
conversations.

Excellence in PPM invites passionate dialogue while remaining hospitable,
charitable, and beneficial to all participants. Millennia Awards are given
to PPM communities which bridge superficial cultural and religious divides -
exploring commonality as much as difference; maintaining fresh, creative,
missional formats accessible and relevant to a diverse audience; remaining
sensitive to our shared humanity and common need for grace as we learn and
grow together.

*Wikipedia on Participatory
Media*<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Participatory_Media>.
"Participatory media are social media whose value and power derives from the
active participation of many people."

*2006 Millennia Award Recipients:* zoecarnate <http://www.zoecarnate.com/>,
nextreformation <http://www.nextreformation.com/>,
tallskinnykiwi<http://www.tallskinnykiwi.com/>,
scot mcknight <http://www.jesuscreed.org/>,
lowercasepeople<http://www.lowercasepeople.com/>,
theooze <http://www.theooze.com/>

*2007 Millennia Award Recipients:* today at the
mission<http://mission.square.com/>,
the kindlings muse <http://www.thekindlings.com/>, a living
alternative<http://missional.blog.com/>,
naked pastor <http://nakedpastor.com/>, mark van