[p2p-research] List of articles on Indium/Gallium Supplies

marc fawzi marc.fawzi at gmail.com
Sat Feb 21 02:35:43 CET 2009

Sam,

Yes...

"Inspired by the photosynthesis performed by plants, Nocera and
Matthew Kanan, a postdoctoral fellow in Nocera's lab, have developed
an unprecedented process that will allow the sun's energy to be used
to split water into hydrogen and oxygen gases. Later, the oxygen and
hydrogen may be recombined inside a fuel cell, creating carbon-free
electricity to power your house or your electric car, day or night."

http://web.mit.edu/newsoffice/2008/oxygen-0731.html

So this means that the sun is our greatest hope for clean renewable
always-on energy (via storage which the photosynthesis technology
above supports by storing the generated energy in fuel cells as part
of the setup.)

This is why I don't like knocking down anything that has to do with
getting energy from the sun.

As to what makes gallium/indium desired, I can state the following
based on my level of knowledge which is fortunately not shallow but
not the same as the level of knowledge a semiconductor or condensed
matter physicist has (obvious but I felt I need to clarify)

1. I believe indium (as Indium Tin Oxide) is MOSTLY used as the
transparent conductive coating (because the sun has to go through it)
which acts as cathode or anode.

2. When it comes to Gallium, I think that electron mobility is hgher
in gallium than it is in silicon which means higher efficiency in
converting photons to electric current.

Marc