[p2p-research] Wikiversity’s potential in global capacity building

Chris Watkins chriswaterguy at appropedia.org
Sat Feb 21 00:04:54 CET 2009

On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 16:49, marc fawzi <marc.fawzi at gmail.com> wrote:

> Chris,
>
> You label people as trolls and arguments as non-sensical. But you are
> 1 voice in 6 billion.
>
> The way to enable change is with the power of ideas and the will to
> put them in action. Not by stating subjective opinions and judgments
> with no consequence whatsoever.

Marc,

The ones taking action are working within Wikipedia to make it better -
Andrew Lih, Durova, myself in my small way and many others. You're repeating
unsubstantiated claims, probably nonsense, from a site known for nonsense,
griping, and
The ones taking action are working within Wikipedia to make it better -
Andrew Lih, Durova, myself in my small way and many others. You're repeating
unsubstantiated claims, probably nonsense, from a site known for nonsense,
griping, and defending trolls and vandals, and which has produced nothing of
a ten-thousandth of the value of Wikipedia, the site they exist to
criticize. Who is being subjective?for defending trolls and vandals, and
which has produced nothing of a ten-thousandth of the value of Wikipedia,
the site they exist to criticize. Who is being subjective?

> Let's focus the debate on ideas.
>
> I sated mine with respect to no bans, no deletions and PageRank-like
> trust metric to rank versions.
>
> PageRank tells nothing about information quality. It's democratic in a
> sense, but these suggestions would take things backwards in quality.
> Frankly, I want trustworthy information, not appealing or sensational
> "information" that ranks well. Wikipedia's process is the best I've seen for
> doing that. And of course it can be made better .
>

> It is not a perfect idea. No idea is, but it is an idea that I and
> other developers can think about and possibly code one day. Maybe
> soon. The important thing is to contribute ideas to the debate not
> simply provide opinions and circumstantial arguments.
>
> Can you share your ideas?

I have done to an extent in earlier emails. These are meant to make
Wikipedia better than it is, not to complain.

I find these conversations frustrating - I don't see the substance in what
you're arguing, and in the interest of continuing to do something rather
than argue, I'm going to withdraw. I've already filtered my emails so that
emails from you to the list don't bring the thread into my inbox. Not that I
have a personal problem with you - I just don't see any sense in much of
what you write. Sorry.

Chris

Marc