[p2p-research] quote on early history as gift economies

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 20 03:15:23 CET 2009

thanks David,

David Graeber has written a whole book examining 'value' throughout
different (anthropological) societies.

I think the other David must have had the same experience as me during my
university years, I was explicitely taught the barter-leads-to-market story,
with no mention at all of the gift economy, a notion I only encountered
years ago. Perhaps neoclassical economists have evolved over time,
integrated other types of knowledge ..

Still, there is a difference between saying, early economies had barter,
which was complicated, so they invented tokens which became money and
ultimately resulted in capitalism and the other story which is: we had gift
economies, but when force intervened, we created debt, which eventually
resulted in the necessity of inventing money ...

Whether force is constituent to the human experience, even before the advent
of unequal class societies, is  perhaps difficult to resolve, but I tend to
believe that it is inherent to the human condition; this is why I think the
state cannot be simply abolished, and I'm not an anarchist.

You are right about 'economies' being a misleading term, and I have read
remarks of Graeber in the same sense, it's an industrial concept we are
projecting backwards, but perhaps also a distinction we have learned to see;
so I think it is okay to use by analogy, as long as we know its limitations.

This brings me to the crux of the debate: the role of networks.

Like hierarchies, and markets, I do not see them in a univocal way. Rather,
hierarchies can be feudal, or meritocratic; markets can be capitalist, or
not; and similarly for networks: they cannot be divorced from the class
structure of society, even as they have their own 'independent' effect of
society which adapt these forms. But these forms will be thoroughly adapted
and changed through the process of differential adoption.

So, my view is the following: networks first arose for the privileged elite
through private networks (multinationals and such), then became democratized
and peer to peer. This leads to widespread adoption of new economic,
political and social practices, which are more productive in many ways than
the earlier modes. Hence, peer production, governance and property, as 3 new
modes. As more productive ways of doing things, they are not only practiced
by the bottom of society, but by all sectors, which initially use them
within the existing dominant mode, just as early capitalist practices were
used to strengthen an ailing feudal order. But as it is adapted it also
changes the order, and new social forces are organizing around it. Chiefly,
the knowledge workers and other associated producers on one hand, but also
what I call 'netarchical capitalists', who created new forms of activity and
business based on 'enabling and empowering social production'.

As our infinite growth mechanism is hitting its limits, it is groping for a
change towards markets which include former externalities (green
capitalism), but also realizing it can't be done, or much less effectively,
without adopting much wider participatory practices (co-creation, co-design,
crowdsourcing, peer production and sharing modes of all kinds), hence, the
force of the new modes of peer production, governance and property are
growing, from emergence to eventual equivalence.

If the current infinite growth system succeeds in being a natural
capitalism, that may be the end of the story, otherwise, a phase transition
will eventual occur, with the former core mode becoming a subsystem in a new
meta-system based on peer to peer dynamics.

Will this totally eliminate force? I do not think so, but it may
significantly reduce their centrality to social life. But we can already see
that successful networks or peer production efforts also deal with threats
to their existence, i.e. to violence directed at them (even if through
spamming, trolling, etc...). So there are three elements to network
production: 1) enabling participation; 2) finding mechanisms for selection
of excellence that are no threat to that universal participation and
availability; and 3) defense against threats.

Michel