[p2p-research] Wikiversity’s potential in global capacity building

Chris Watkins chriswaterguy at appropedia.org
Thu Feb 19 22:02:28 CET 2009

On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 14:57, marc fawzi <marc.fawzi at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear Tere,
>
> It's so bad that "deletionpedia" has better quality articles (in a
> growing number of areas) at this point
>
> See this in regards to corruption:
> http://yro.slashdot.org/yro/07/12/04/0333252.shtml?tid=267
>
> The fish rots from the head down.
>
> Also, Jimmy Wales has a conflict of interest in running Wikia, a
> commercial venture that aims to apply semantic web technology to a
> wikipedia like service. Wikia was started after I had written about
> applying semantic tech to Wikipedia itself. But he actually not only
> applying the concept to a commercial for-profit venture but in doing
> so he's sucking creative ideas away from wikipedia and funneling them
> into what makes him money. Wikia now hosts "semantic mediawiki" which
> was designed originally with the hope of its adoption by Wikipedia.
> But on a more broader scale, Wales is leveraging wikipedia and his
> status there to make money with Wikia. If no one else gets this, then
> oh well... But I can write a 3 page article on it, easily with
> researched facts and links.

Conflict of interest because he started another site doing something
different from Wikipedia?

Semantic MediaWiki is still an option for Wikipedia - so what if Wikia hosts
that site?

Sorry Marc, but you need to make sense in a paragraph before writing a 3
page article.

Chris

> [...]
> independent
> > from Wikipedia's remaining founder and his business interests.
> >
> > "The WMF lacks a mechanism to address the concerns of outsiders,
> resulting
> > in an insular and socially irresponsible internal culture. Because of
> > inadequate oversight and supervision, Wikimedia has hired incompetent and
> > (in at least one case) criminal employees. Jimmy Wales for-profit
> business
> > Wikia benefits in numerous ways from its association with the non-profit
> > Wikipedia."
> >
> > The Foundation's budget
> >
> > Wikimedia chairwoman rejects demand for transparency
> >
> > Review of the conflict of interest issue
> >

> > Misc:
> >
> > -
> >
> http://blog.p2pfoundation.net/conflict-arbitration-at-the-wikipedia/2009/02/10
> >
> > -
> >
> http://blog.p2pfoundation.net/banning-the-wikipedia-bans-as-a-governance-tool/2008/11/21
> >
> > -
> >
> http://blog.p2pfoundation.net/update-on-the-bagley-wikipedia-controversy/2008/10/26
> >
> > -
> http://blog.p2pfoundation.net/is-it-time-to-go-beyond-wikipedia/2008/11/11

> their

> >> I forwarded the question to my co-authors as well, and here is what I
> got:
> >>
> >> Teemu, who, btw, is a member of the foundation's advisory board, replied
> >> in Finnish that he does not see/recognise a problem with regard to
> >> democratic governance.
> >>
> >> Juha wrote: "I am not aware of the possible democracy gaps in Wikipedia
> >> besides the obvious problems relating to the epistemological questions
> of
> >> specific article topics (what is worth knowing, what information gets
> >> through as a WP article etc.), and some stupid censors (a.k.a admins).
> But
> >> all and all, I hope that Wikiversity will develop as a true grassroots
> >> movement, that is, as much as possible as a bottom-up endeavor. What
> else
> >> that means in practice than that those who participate share some common
> >> elements of .... decency, honesty, openness etc. (Marxist tells that she
> is
> >> a Marxist as well as Christian fundamentalist)..."
> >>
> >> I really have not much add to Juha. So this seems to be a good time for
> >> everybody to instruct us on what *are* the problems of democratic
> >> governance. Links would be fine! :)

> > --
> > Working at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dhurakij_Pundit_University -
> > http://www.dpu.ac.th/dpuic/info/Research.html -
> > http://www.asianforesightinstitute.org/index.php/eng/The-AFI
> >
> > Volunteering at the P2P Foundation:
> > http://p2pfoundation.net  - http://blog.p2pfoundation.net -
> > http://p2pfoundation.ning.com
> >
> > Monitor updates at http://del.icio.us/mbauwens
> >
> > The work of the P2P Foundation is supported by SHIFTN,

Chris Watkins (a.k.a. Chriswaterguy)

Appropedia.org - Sharing knowledge to build rich, sustainable lives.

identi.ca/appropedia / twitter.com/appropedia
blogs.appropedia.org

I like this: five.sentenc.es