[p2p-research] reverting from pdf to word query

Chris Watkins chriswaterguy at appropedia.org
Thu Feb 19 16:59:33 CET 2009

So for, the only thing I'm aware of that works well is using Acrobat Reader
Professional. Universities or workplaces often have it. If you have this,
see Save a PDF file as a Word document, HTML file, or
image<http://www.adobe.com/designcenter/tutorials/acr7at_savepdfas/>
.

We work with PDF documents at Appropedia sometimes, taking them and converting
to wiki markup<http://www.appropedia.org/Help:Porting_PDF_files_to_MediaWiki>,
and it starts with getting access to this program. We'd certainly like a
smoother process, and an open source process. I'm aware of the programs that
Sam mentions, but I haven't had the chance to try yet (I need to sit down
with a Linux wizard and learn how to compile packages).

On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 08:22, Samuel Rose <samuel.rose at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 5:42 AM, Michel Bauwens <michelsub2004 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > Dear friends,
> >
> > I hope someone can help with this small technical query from Bernard
> Lietaer:
> >
> > "Is there a solution to revert the pdf version to a Word version?"
>
> Sam writes: It's too bad that PDF does not contain some form of
> metadata, (like SVG for instance) that would make conversion an easier
> task.
>
> http://www.scribus.net/ has limited success *editng* PDF documents:
> http://rants.scribus.net/2006/12/10/pdf-surgery/ if you are simply
> looking to change what is in it.
>
> PDF was orginally largely used in practice as format for people in the
> printing industry to maintain document image quality. It's really good
> for this purpose, but not so great for sharing a co-editable document.
>
> Also, I have heard that people have had good success with PDF2HTML or
> to XML conversions (I believe there is a Perl script that will do
> this, and I recall trying it out several years ago). Then, you could
> do HTML or XML to > Your favorite desktop document editor
>
> Here's one written on C++
>

> > Michel
> >
> > --
> > Working at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dhurakij_Pundit_University -
> http://www.dpu.ac.th/dpuic/info/Research.html -
> http://www.asianforesightinstitute.org/index.php/eng/The-AFI
> >
> > Volunteering at the P2P Foundation:
> > http://p2pfoundation.net  - http://blog.p2pfoundation.net -
> http://p2pfoundation.ning.com
> >
> > Monitor updates at http://del.icio.us/mbauwens
> >
> > The work of the P2P Foundation is supported by SHIFTN,
> http://www.shiftn.com/
>

> --
> Sam Rose
> Social Synergy
> Tel:+1(517) 639-1552
> Cel: +1-(517)-974-6451
> AIM: Str9960
> Linkedin Profile: https://www.linkedin.com/in/samrose
> skype: samuelrose
> email: samuel.rose at gmail.com
> http://socialsynergyweb.org/network
> http://socialmediaclassroom.com
> http://localfoodsystems.org
> http://openfarmtech.org
> http://notanemployee.net
> http://communitywiki.org
>

> "When a distinguished elderly scientist states that something is
> possible, he is almost certainly right. When he states that something
> is impossible, he is very probably wrong."
>
>   Arthur C. Clarke, Clarke's first law

Chris Watkins (a.k.a. Chriswaterguy)

Appropedia.org - Sharing knowledge to build rich, sustainable lives.

identi.ca/appropedia / twitter.com/appropedia
blogs.appropedia.org

I like this: five.sentenc.es