[p2p-research] [Open Manufacturing] Fwd: there is no energy crisis

M. Fioretti mfioretti at nexaima.net
Thu Feb 19 14:16:06 CET 2009

On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 04:16:21 AM -0800, marc fawzi wrote:
> The last thing I'd do is to argue on behalf of some company.

the last message of this thread I'll bother to read may indeed be this
one, if you please-for-the-third-time-in-a-day don't start following
proper email netiquette. Whether or not I make enough money to carry
on depends on how much time I spend to process email. Besides
bandwidth, if you keep top posting and don't even start with an
attribution line, I'm not going to scroll down and back every time
just to figure out if you were talking to me or not (this is not the
only list or thread I need to follow in order to work).

> Having said that, I highly doubt that gallium will be depleted in 15
> years because that assumes that none of the companies who have spent
> tens of billions of dollars on gallium-based technologies have
> bothered to research the issue.

I think your assumption that the average CEO of these days does give a
damn of where the specific multinational he's leading today will be in
15+ years is the weakest seen so far in this thread. This doesn't mean
there is no alternative to gallium being in the works, of course.

> The fact that all these powerful interests (who have everything to
> lose if those substances cease to exist) continue to invest heavily
> in NEW uses for gallium and indium (including post-silicon chip
> technology)...  means that the suppliers are not seeing shortage any
> time soon.

If the executives of the 3 big USA automakers hadn't told their
government "we kept making big SUVs which would only make sense with
almost-free gas and an ever-growing economy until we completely
screwed up, please give us money" just a few weeks ago, I may have
less problems with such a statement.

In any case, to cut this short: I have no intention to discuss your
assumptions further, and in any case I have nothing to add. If you're
right, that's great. I still think that if we have to judge from what
came up in this thread your bases aren't any stronger than those of
Cobb, but that's just my opinion.

Marco

software is used *around* you:            http://digifreedom.net/node/84