[p2p-research] [Open Manufacturing] Fwd: there is no energy crisis

marc fawzi marc.fawzi at gmail.com
Thu Feb 19 10:27:40 CET 2009

By the way, Organic LED displays do not need to use Indium.

That's one example of an industry (flat panel display industry)
continuing to march on and transform beyond the depletion of some
resource (e.g. gallium)

The solution (organic LEDs) was being researched as far back as the early 90s.

Same with solar cells, if Indium and Gallium are indeed running out
then alternatives will be found.

This is based on not having seen any mega industry fail to transform
itself beyond the depletion of a given scarce resource.

And transformation of an industry (or rather "evolution") can happen
without having the pressure of a scarce resource. For example, horse
carriage industry transformed or evolved into the car industry not
because horses were scarce but because something better came along.

If something better than solar cells comes along then the energy
industry will evolve as driven by that new invention.

The cycle of invention does not end.

So why say the end is near (for anything) before the curtain comes
down? or before the play even starts?

That's my point. We saying that solar is screwed because gallium is
running out is a little funny... at least based on seeing how people
have invented themselves out of some many crisis and shortages before.

i.e. the optimist view

:)