[p2p-research] Wikiversity’s potential in global capacity building

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 18 11:24:13 CET 2009

>From our friend Tere in first monday:
http://firstmonday.org/htbin/cgiwrap/bin/ojs/index.php/fm/article/view/2252/2093<http://firstmonday.org/htbin/cgiwrap/bin/ojs/index.php/fm/article/view/2252/2093>

Could someone mention this in our blog as well, many
thanks,<http://firstmonday.org/htbin/cgiwrap/bin/ojs/index.php/fm/article/view/2252/2093>

Michel
<http://firstmonday.org/htbin/cgiwrap/bin/ojs/index.php/fm/article/view/2252/2093>

<http://firstmonday.org/htbin/cgiwrap/bin/ojs/index.php/fm/article/view/2252/2093>

<http://firstmonday.org/htbin/cgiwrap/bin/ojs/index.php/fm/article/view/2252/2093>

Learning in and with an open wiki project: Wikiversity's potential in global
capacity building<http://firstmonday.org/htbin/cgiwrap/bin/ojs/index.php/fm/article/view/2252/2093>

Abstract

There is a chance that Wikiversity will become the Internet's free
university just as Wikipedia is the free encyclopedia on the Internet. The
building of an educational entity demands considering a number of
philosophical and practical questions such as pedagogy and organization. In
this paper we will address some of these, starting by introducing several
earlier approaches and ideas related to wikis' potential for education. We
continue by presenting three commonly used metaphors of learning:
acquisition, participation and knowledge creation. Then we will present the
main principles of two existing alternative educational approaches: free
adult education and free school movement. To test these educational
approaches and practices on Wikiversity and increase our understanding of
the possibilities of this initiative, in the spring of 2008 we implemented
an experimental course in Wikiversity. We conclude with several
recommendations essentially advocating for Wikiversity and the use of wikis
in education. However, more than just presenting our opinions, as authors we
aim to make an educated — traditionally and in the wiki way — contribution
to the international discussion about the future of education for all in the
digital era.

Volunteering at the P2P Foundation:
http://p2pfoundation.ning.com