[p2p-research] [Abundance] Re: The End of Work or the Renaissance of Slavery?

marc fawzi marc.fawzi at gmail.com
Wed Feb 18 01:05:37 CET 2009

<<
There is virtually no need for an "at cost" provision. I'm not saying it
shouldn't be in there, but I'm just saying that it is rather
irrelevant. The code will be provided for virtually nothing 99.99
percent of the time to 99.99 percent of the people. It would be as
irrelevant as a price floor of one dollar for houses.

I would add that the code in itself is worth as much as air.

With that said, I think this is very relevant to a model I'm evolving
for trading in "man hours" and "cpu hours" for open content (e.g. open
software) and open content production (e.g. open software
development.)

There are two things in software (as open content) and software
development (as open content production) that need to be traded
without throttling by artificial "price" which is what Patrick is
getting at, IMO.

In the model I'm evolving (please see discussion tab of wiki page for
P2P Energy Economy), those two things are the "man hour" cost in human
energy (for producing the software) and the "cpu hour" cost in
computational energy (for running and replicating the software)

[start of somewhat irrelevant section]

The "cpu hour" cost for running the software or
replicating/downloading it is relatively very low. In case of
replicating/downloading via P2P the bandwidth is some fixed sunk cost,
e.g. $40/mo, which, for the sake of simplicity, does not factor into
the replication/downloading cost. This way, anyone using my machine
for x cpu hours to download some software will let me use theirs too
for x cpu hours at any time in the future and for whatever
cpu-consuming purpose, e.g. running some web service. That's much
better than the bandwidth-exchange model in BitTorrent which will be
used too but does not factor in the 'cpu hour' exchange which is of
more interest since 'cpu hours' are usable at any time and for any
purpose (so they work more like a currency)

[end of somewhat irrelevant section]

If developer spends a total of 2,000 man hours building the software
and recoups those 200 man hours, in virtual "man hour" tokens, from
the users (assuming the users are other developers) he can then have
2,000 man hours (of other developers' time) to apply to his software,
to enhance it. If he doesn't recoup the 2,000 man hours he spent his
productivity is not likely to grow (or if it does then it's at the
cost of something else unless he is funded and the funding grows as he
makes progress, which is how it works in the commercial and free
software business), i.e. he'll have the same  2,000 man hours to put
in, so his productivity stays constant. But if he does recoup the
2,000 man hours as "man hour tokens" then he can trade the tokens in
return for 2,000 man hours of other developers' time (again, assuming
the users or participant in such economy are also developers) and puts
in another 2,000 man hours of his time, so now he has 4,000 man hours
invested in the project, which he can recoup (in "man hour" tokens)
and then trade for other developers' time while again putting 2,000
man hours of his own time, so now he has 6,000 man hours invested in
the project, which he can recoup (in "man hour" tokens) and trade for
other developers' time while again putting 2,000 man hours of his own
time, so now he has 8,000 man hours invested in the project, and so
on...

In other words, by recouping my man hours in "man hour" tokens" and
trading them for other developers' time, I can continuously grow my
software project, faster than just giving it away for free, without
major corporate donors.

I have figured out how to create the "man hour" and "cpu hour" tokens
such that they are linked to (or are the result of) higher
productivity not just created with a magic wand. More specifically,
they are created based on the increase in the flow of man hours and
cpu hours from peers with surplus to peers with deficit. This way,
they represent spent human and computer energy so money becomes equal
to work, or an enabler of production, not an enabler of scarcity or
ownership, which are two sides of the same exact coin based on the way
I see it.

When it comes to "billing" for open software (as downloaded content or
as P2P-based SaaS) "cpu hour" billing is easy because it relates to
use of a cpu which is measurable based on cpu spec. When it comes to
billing for open software development, "man hour" biling requires
consensus between the developer and their peers (other users of the
economy, who are also developers) on how many "man hours" a given task
should take, ideally speaking and on average.  Obviously, anyone not
using the P2P trading app can go and download the software from some
external torrent, to circumvent having to pay the ridiculously low
cost in 'cpu hours' and 'man hours' (which is divided by the number of
_all_ users in the economy)

:-)