[p2p-research] [Abundance] Re: [Open Manufacturing] Re: == Currency Based on CPU and Man Hours (for Digital Goods) ==

marc fawzi marc.fawzi at gmail.com
Tue Feb 17 21:21:12 CET 2009

Kevin,

I think the question of "why do we need to back money with anything"
is very important question (although it's not applicable to the kind
of money creation I have developed) The question keeps popping up so I
need to address the response to all those on the relevant lists, so I
don't have to re-answer it on all lists.

I'm looking at the economy as a programmer working with a model made
up of several algorithms, running at various times, concurrently, for
each participant, and in this view of the economy complexity at the
level of the whole economy arises from a starting set of basic rules.

If I said "let there be money" and waved a magic wound and let the
resulting system run then I would have lost the ability to model the
system's behavior, deductively and would have the kind of system that
can only be modeled numerically, which isn't bad for the whole
economy, if the constraints on money creation assure long term
stability, but I couldn't then guarantee each given participant that
if they follow the rules of the game that they would do well. I have a
problem with that.

In other words, unless I link money creation to higher productivity, I
would not be able to predict deductively what an increase in money
supply would do, i.e. what is the money being linked to?  In the case
of the joule tokens and the "cpu hour" and "man hour" tokens, money
(tokens) is created based on the increase (delta) in the flow of man
hours and cpu hours (two different tokens) from peers with surplus to
peers with deficit (which represents a definite future increase in
productivity as those surplus man and cpu hours are spent rather than
being idle), so this linkage allows me to deductively predict the
outcome of new money. I would not be able to deduce  what new money
would do to productivity if it's not linked directly to it.

The money is not "backed" by energy (or in this new model human and
computer energy).. It's "linked" to productivity.

So the right word is "linked to" not "backed by."

Marc