[p2p-research] abundance and scarcity in second life: market vs. other incentives

marc fawzi marc.fawzi at gmail.com
Mon Feb 16 07:59:52 CET 2009

I read just the top half very quickly and something jumped at me.
Charging fractions of a cent for SL objects is a bit problematic although on
the right track at one level.
A cent is a unit of a scarcity-enforcing currency called the US dollar.

If you sift through the P2P Energy Economy model you will find portions
explaining the scarcity-enforcing mechanisms inherent in the existing
international currency. Does it mean that an object costs fractions of a
cent today but 1 cent tomorrow? What happens when the dollar sinks in value
or when in 10 years the dollar has less buying power (due to "inflation") ?

There are a lot of silly games embedded in the design and principles (or
lack of) underlying the current economy and the international currency.

Why use a currency with a relative value that goes up and down (but
generally goes down so you can buy less with it over time) when we're
dealing with mere electrical pulses stored on some metal pate (or bits)
....?  Why not come up with a currency that lets us measure the cost of
storing a single bit in absolute terms, based on the total work energy it
takes to record and then replicate and deliver each bit?

See this as an example model: http://p2pfoundation.net/P2P_Energy_Economy

I'll be adapting to work with open source content (goods) and open source
development (services)

Another thing: if the Second Life object in question is not open source or
if the license does not permit the person who purchases it from re-selling
it as is at cost then it's a scarcity creating license ,,, money should not
be used to create scarcity in goods and services .. it should be used to
enable an abundance.

I see a lot of flaws emanating from the use of traditional systems in
enabling abundance

Complete rethinking, starting with the nature of money itself (what it is
and what it;s supposed to do), is needed.

I tried to answer as many questions in that regard in my work so far, which
you can freely use for any purpose, especially for enabling the abundance of
arguments (about what money is and how it needs to work in order to enable
not curtail abundance)

As it is today, money is very scarcity enforcing

If I was Second Life, I would be looking at a new type of currency to start
with, one that has a fixed value in work energy

Marc