[p2p-research] crisis of capitalism

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 16 03:38:32 CET 2009

For those wanting to explore the issue:

- see for more material: http://del.icio.us/mbauwens/Meltdown

Chris: how much more environmental and biospheric destruction, poverty,
etc.. would it take to make you change your mind that there is a 'crisis of
capitalism'? What is the treshold?

I'm not sure what Cuba has to do with it? A family can be in crisis, even if
the husband doesn't have another relationship, to use a bad comparison ...

Michel

On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 2:30 AM, Chris Watkins <chriswaterguy at appropedia.org
> wrote:

> If you want to tempt us to watch a one-hour preview (or realize that some
> of us will never find the time for it) it would help to tell us something
> about what the "crisis of capitalism" *is* about.
>
> I don't see a "crisis of capitalism" in the current financial crash. The
> capitalist economies could drop their incomes by 50% and still be in a
> better state than Cuba, the former Soviet Union and other "alternatives".
>
> Which is not to say we can't do better: we can, whether through tweaking or
> much larger reform). And it's not to say there isn't a crisis: the current
> system's way of dealing with our environment has worked in some ways, but
> failed drastically in managing our climate, which is by far the most
> critical challenge we face.
>

> On Sun, Feb 15, 2009 at 13:20, Wittel, Andreas <andreas.wittel at ntu.ac.uk>wrote:
>
>> This is perhaps the most interesting approach to understand the crisis of
>> capitalsim I have come across.  Rick Wolff says it's not a financial crisis,
>> the core problem is not money, interest, speculation etc.. It is also not
>> about neoliberalism and deregulation of markets, the core of the problem is
>> the classical Marxist take of the tensions between owners of means of
>> production and workers.
>> All very well explained. I am not an economist, but the analysis is
>> convincing.
>> Here you can watch a one hour preview:
>> http://www.mediaed.org/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=139
>>
>> best,
>> Andreas
>>

>> This email is intended solely for the addressee.  It may contain private
>> and confidential information.  If you are not the intended addressee, please
>> take no action based on it nor show a copy to anyone.  In this case, please
>> this email that do not relate to the official business of Nottingham Trent
>> University shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by the
>> University.
>> Nottingham Trent University has taken steps to ensure that this email and
>> any attachments are virus-free, but we do advise that the recipient should
>> check that the email and its attachments are actually virus free.  This is
>> in keeping with good computing practice.

> Chris Watkins (a.k.a. Chriswaterguy)
>
> Appropedia.org - Sharing knowledge to build rich, sustainable lives.
>
> identi.ca/appropedia / twitter.com/appropedia
> blogs.appropedia.org
>
> I like this: five.sentenc.es

Volunteering at the P2P Foundation:
http://p2pfoundation.ning.com