[p2p-research] crisis of capitalism

Chris Watkins chriswaterguy at appropedia.org
Sun Feb 15 20:30:10 CET 2009

If you want to tempt us to watch a one-hour preview (or realize that some of
us will never find the time for it) it would help to tell us something about
what the "crisis of capitalism" *is* about.

I don't see a "crisis of capitalism" in the current financial crash. The
capitalist economies could drop their incomes by 50% and still be in a
better state than Cuba, the former Soviet Union and other "alternatives".

Which is not to say we can't do better: we can, whether through tweaking or
much larger reform). And it's not to say there isn't a crisis: the current
system's way of dealing with our environment has worked in some ways, but
failed drastically in managing our climate, which is by far the most
critical challenge we face.

On Sun, Feb 15, 2009 at 13:20, Wittel, Andreas <andreas.wittel at ntu.ac.uk>wrote:

> This is perhaps the most interesting approach to understand the crisis of
> capitalsim I have come across.  Rick Wolff says it's not a financial crisis,
> the core problem is not money, interest, speculation etc.. It is also not
> about neoliberalism and deregulation of markets, the core of the problem is
> the classical Marxist take of the tensions between owners of means of
> production and workers.
> All very well explained. I am not an economist, but the analysis is
> convincing.
> Here you can watch a one hour preview:
> http://www.mediaed.org/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=139
>
> best,
> Andreas
>

> This email is intended solely for the addressee.  It may contain private
> and confidential information.  If you are not the intended addressee, please
> take no action based on it nor show a copy to anyone.  In this case, please
> this email that do not relate to the official business of Nottingham Trent
> University shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by the
> University.
> Nottingham Trent University has taken steps to ensure that this email and
> any attachments are virus-free, but we do advise that the recipient should
> check that the email and its attachments are actually virus free.  This is
> in keeping with good computing practice.

Chris Watkins (a.k.a. Chriswaterguy)

Appropedia.org - Sharing knowledge to build rich, sustainable lives.

identi.ca/appropedia / twitter.com/appropedia
blogs.appropedia.org

I like this: five.sentenc.es