[p2p-research] Fwd: whoops - even digital and physical systems paired together fail

Kevin Carson free.market.anticapitalist at gmail.com
Fri Feb 13 00:31:02 CET 2009

On 2/10/09, Michel Bauwens <michelsub2004 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm wondering if anyone care to comment on the problems with bike-sharing in
> Paris, an issue relevant to commons governance,

Most likely commons governance is unsuited to a group without some
organic social cohesion, face to face acquaintance, etc.  And its
unsuited to a situation in which the group lacks credible means of
enforcing rules.  The classic example of common property, a village
common, had both these things.  I vaguely recall game theory
experiments that showed people had tendencies toward cooperation and
altruism at least as strong as their tendencies toward competition,
but that a society based on them could only be stable when there was
some mechanism for enforcing reciprocity, and the members had reason
to anticipate ongoing interactions with the same community.

--
Kevin Carson
Mutualist Blog:  Free Market Anti-Capitalism