[p2p-research] who can announce this on the p2p blog?: miro 2.0 open source TV is out

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 11 10:00:20 CET 2009

Hello Hello!

Today is very exciting for those of us at Miro, your favorite open-source,
world-changing, delight-providing video player. Why? Because today we are
launching Miro 2.0, totally redesigned and rebuilt. (see screenshots at the
bottom of this message.)

Want to get right to it?   *Download Miro 2.0 <http://www.getmiro.com/>*

 *In a nutshell, here's what's new:*

   - A beautiful, all-new interface (see picture below)
   - Browse while you watch-- pop out any video to an external window (our
   number one requested feature)
   - Miro is now faster, more responsive, uses less memory
   - You can add streaming sites like Hulu to your sidebar
   - You can add download sites like Archive.org <http://archive.org/> or
   legaltorrents.com to your sidebar and download to Miro with a single
   click
   - Improved playlists
   - New compact, sortable list view
   - Better audio support

 aaaaaaaaaannnnd..... we've just launched a great new version of the Miro
Guide that works even better with Miro 2 (see screenshot below).
But remember, we are not a company!

Miro is created by a non-profit organization and volunteers around the
world. To realize our vision of a more open and democratic internet video
world, you need to get involved.

*How can you help the most?*

   - Send this message to your friends! Since we can't afford to buy our way
   into their hearts, we need *you* to tell them about Miro and why open
   media is important.
   - Translate! Only about 40% of Miro users are in English speaking
   countries. We need your help to translate Miro, our website, and the Miro
   Guide. Details are on our Volunteer
Page<http://www.getmiro.com/open-source/volunteer/>
   .
   - Test and code! Got chops? Join
in<http://www.getmiro.com/open-source/volunteer/>
   .
   - Help new users-- you can answer questions and join the community
   conversation here: Miro discussion
forums<http://getsatisfaction.com/participatoryculturefoundation>
   .

And don't forget to download Miro 2.0!

 p.s. Attention geeks and journalists: here's our official launch
announcement <http://www.getmiro.com/blog/?p=891>, the detailed release
notes<https://develop.participatoryculture.org/trac/democracy/wiki/2.0ReleaseNotes>,
and the Miro Feature List <http://www.getmiro.com/features/>.

Screenshots: New Interface and New Miro Guide

--
The P2P Foundation researches, documents and promotes peer to peer
alternatives.

Basic essay at http://www.ctheory.net/articles.aspx?id=499; interview at
http://poynder.blogspot.com/2006/09/p2p-very-core-of-world-to-come.html
BEST VIDEO ON P2P: