[p2p-research] Fwd: Launch of Abundance: The Journal of Post-Scarcity Studies, preliminary plans

Patrick Anderson agnucius at gmail.com
Fri Feb 6 22:59:44 CET 2009

On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 2:18 PM, Christian Siefkes <christian at siefkes.net> wrote:
> The problem with capitalism isn't that prices are "unfair"--most prices
> aren't. There are other problems. First, production only takes place if
> there is _profit._

Could you help me understand how your view of the words 'price' and
'profit' differs from mine?

I see the relationship between these values as either of:

Owner_Profit = Consumer_Price - Owner_Costs

or

Consumer_Price = Owner_Costs + Owner_Profit

or

Owner_Costs = Consumer_Price - Owner_Profit

The lowest Consumer_Price could ever (sustainably) be is to be equal
to Owner_Costs.

So why do we think price is 'fair' when it is above cost?  Why not
consider "at cost" to be the ultimate in 'fair'?

Sincerely,
Patrick