[p2p-research] member managed web service

marc fawzi marc.fawzi at gmail.com
Thu Feb 5 02:02:12 CET 2009

Patrick's views are congruent with the ideas I'm working with, so I think I
can pitch in to explain.

His user-as-owner model fixes a lot of things, at least in theory.

One issue it fixes that's hard to fix in any other "p2p" model (without the
introduction of some kind of peer law and peer government) is how to get
producers to be transparent and open source their entire production process,
not just the thing they're producing.

As far as 'control' goes, I personally think in terms of achieving
'autonomy' through increased interdependence, which is what user-as-owner
model does too by making production processes dependent on everyone's
support. The way I'm tackling the autonomy issue, however, given that the
model I'm working with is for the far future, is by arguing that 'Internet
infrastructure' as an industry should evolve to meet the conditions for
sustainable abundance, which it does not at this time.

The network-centric model puts control in the hands of those who have the
most capital to afford data centers, backbones, local access, peering hubs,
under sea cables, etc.  This creates dependence on a few players. The way I
understand it, is that Patrick's model would require ownership of the
infrastructure by the public, which can happen, of course, if enough people
demonstrate in the street demanding it.

In the model I'm working with, which does not change the ownership model in
itself but has its limitations in terms of what industries it applies to
(i.e. those that meet the sustainable abundance conditions [see P2P Energy
Economy] <http://p2pfoundation.net/P2P_Energy_Economy>) in order for the
Internet infrastructure as an industry to meet the conditions for
sustainable abundance we must move from the network centric model which is
extremely capital intensive to the P2P Internet model which replicates the
Internet over mesh architecture (which I don't believe anyone has
demonstrated on wide-scale basis [search: 802.11s and World Wide Mesh)

So, yeah, we really need to look beneath the surface and face the issue of
control in society.