[p2p-research] Fwd: Launch of Abundance: The Journal of Post-Scarcity Studies, preliminary plans

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 2 09:01:55 CET 2009

For Roberto Verzola, see http://blog.p2pfoundation.net/?s=Abundance+Verzola*,
it is best seen as a continuum*

The key is to distinguish the different fields where this continuum
expresses itself differently,

Verzola's work is very important to recognize such distinctions

see

Roberto Verzola: Finite demand makes relative abundance
possible<http://blog.p2pfoundation.net/roberto-verzola-finite-demand-makes-relative-abundance-possible/2009/01/31>

Posted on Saturday, January 31st, 2009

A very important contribution to abundance theory by Roberto Verzola:
"It is almost by definition that economists predominantly focus on scarcity,
when they define economics as the study of "the most efficient ways to
allocate scarce resources to meet infinite human wants". If, indeed, people
had infinite wants, then not even all the resources of this […]

Read the rest of this
post...<http://blog.p2pfoundation.net/roberto-verzola-finite-demand-makes-relative-abundance-possible/2009/01/31>

Posted in P2P Economics<http://blog.p2pfoundation.net/category/p2p-economics>,
P2P Theory <http://blog.p2pfoundation.net/category/p2p-theory> |
Edit<http://blog.p2pfoundation.net/wp-admin/post.php?action=edit&post=2374>|
No
Comments »<http://blog.p2pfoundation.net/roberto-verzola-finite-demand-makes-relative-abundance-possible/2009/01/31#respond>
 From Gain Maximization to Risk
Minimization<http://blog.p2pfoundation.net/from-gain-maximization-to-risk-minimization/2008/12/03>

Posted on Wednesday, December 3rd, 2008

Under conditions of abundance, the ideal economic agent is not the gain
maximizer competing for self interest and incidentally making markets
efficient, but the risk minimizer cooperating with others to intentionally
make their common resources more reliable.
Roberto Verzola makes this very interesting distinction in economic
governance modes in his important essay on "Undermining Abundance".
He […]

Read the rest of this
post...<http://blog.p2pfoundation.net/from-gain-maximization-to-risk-minimization/2008/12/03>

Posted in P2P Commons <http://blog.p2pfoundation.net/category/p2p-commons>, P2P
Economics <http://blog.p2pfoundation.net/category/p2p-economics>, P2P
Governance <http://blog.p2pfoundation.net/category/p2p-governance> |
Edit<http://blog.p2pfoundation.net/wp-admin/post.php?action=edit&post=2168>|
1
Comment »<http://blog.p2pfoundation.net/from-gain-maximization-to-risk-minimization/2008/12/03#comments>
 Abundance as a field of study (2): a
typology<http://blog.p2pfoundation.net/abundance-as-a-field-of-study-2-a-typology/2008/11/22>

Posted on Saturday, November 22nd, 2008

We continue our presentation of Roberto Verzola's essay, 'Studying
Abundance'.
Following yesterday's explanation of the different aspects of abundance,
Roberto now formulates a typology distinguishes five different kinds of
abunance.
Roberto Verzola:
"Taking into account these various ways of classifying abundance, we suggest
the following tentative classification to highlight the differences among
the various types. The first three, […]

Read the rest of this
post...<http://blog.p2pfoundation.net/abundance-as-a-field-of-study-2-a-typology/2008/11/22>

Posted in P2P Economics<http://blog.p2pfoundation.net/category/p2p-economics>,
P2P Theory <http://blog.p2pfoundation.net/category/p2p-theory> |
Edit<http://blog.p2pfoundation.net/wp-admin/post.php?action=edit&post=2118>|
No
Comments »<http://blog.p2pfoundation.net/abundance-as-a-field-of-study-2-a-typology/2008/11/22#respond>
 Abundance as a field of study
(1)<http://blog.p2pfoundation.net/abundance-as-a-field-of-study-1/2008/11/21>

Posted on Friday, November 21st, 2008

We discussed a major essay by Robert Verzola, in which he outlined the 'war
against abundance in the physical world', in two parts on the 15th and the
16th.
This was in fact his second essay on the topic, as explained here.
His third essay is a draft on 'Studying Abundance', and an explicit critique
of an […]

Read the rest of this
post...<http://blog.p2pfoundation.net/abundance-as-a-field-of-study-1/2008/11/21>

Posted in P2P Economics<http://blog.p2pfoundation.net/category/p2p-economics>,
P2P Theory <http://blog.p2pfoundation.net/category/p2p-theory> |
Edit<http://blog.p2pfoundation.net/wp-admin/post.php?action=edit&post=2117>|
No
Comments »<http://blog.p2pfoundation.net/abundance-as-a-field-of-study-1/2008/11/21#respond>
 The war against abundance in the physical world (2): towards policies for
abundance<http://blog.p2pfoundation.net/the-war-against-abundance-in-the-physical-world-2-towards-policies-for-abundance/2008/11/16>

Posted on Sunday, November 16th, 2008

We continue the presentation of the very important essay by Robert Verzola.
This time, excerpts of what he has to say about a positive policy geared
towards producing positive feedback loops of abundance.
Roberto Verzola:
1. Marshalling the abundance of nature
"Creating abundance is a matter of reproducing a good over and over again,
until more than enough is […]

Read the rest of this
post...<http://blog.p2pfoundation.net/the-war-against-abundance-in-the-physical-world-2-towards-policies-for-abundance/2008/11/16>

Posted in P2P Commons <http://blog.p2pfoundation.net/category/p2p-commons>, P2P
Economics <http://blog.p2pfoundation.net/category/p2p-economics>, P2P Public
Policy <http://blog.p2pfoundation.net/category/p2p-public-policy>, P2P
Theory <http://blog.p2pfoundation.net/category/p2p-theory> |
Edit<http://blog.p2pfoundation.net/wp-admin/post.php?action=edit&post=2111>|
No
Comments »<http://blog.p2pfoundation.net/the-war-against-abundance-in-the-physical-world-2-towards-policies-for-abundance/2008/11/16#respond>
 The war against abundance in the physical world
(1)<http://blog.p2pfoundation.net/the-war-against-abundance-in-the-physical-world-1/2008/11/15>

Posted on Saturday, November 15th, 2008

1. Introduction
Most people would assume that the digital commons is naturally abundant
(even though it does take a physical infrastructure to maintain), but that
natural and processed material goods are 'naturally' rival and scarce. We
intuit and know that a market-based and for-profit based system is
necessarily interested in maintaining scarcity, but it may not […]