[p2p-research] fakeness of recovery

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 31 11:49:07 CET 2009

It's not the oil Ryan, most countries with oil revenues actually go down the
drain (the famous oil course), and it is not just redistribution, but deep
structural reform, and things that last for lifetimes like better healthcare
for poor children, alphabetisation campaings and the like.

The key question is whether this  is tied to a concurrent trend towards
authoritarianism, and there are undoubtedly strong signs in that direction,

the other big question for me is about social antagonism:

- in the long run, is composing with the oligarchy, as in Brazil, the best
choice (no sabotage from the old privileged class), which also means not
removing a lot of structural coercion of the old system, or is antagonism a
la Chavez the answer, which creates more direct political coercion and may
create a new bureaucratic elite ..

Some say of course that this choice was less dictated by chavez and lula,
but by their opponents, in other words, even starting out as a moderate,
Chavez had no choice given the all out opposition to even moderate measures
..

But as a p2p advocate, my preference goes out to see what happens in the
grassroots, and they are very active in both cases .... 2 million brazilians
work for the social economy sector for example ..

But whatever happens, just the oil factor, which may of course resume
climbing, would be a simplistic reading ...

Cuba survived much worse, a real Peak Oil, and came out stronger, not
weaker,

I think there is a lot of wishful thinking on the part of the old oligarchy,
and it would be a mistake to just their account for truth,

which is of course not to say that the situation is complex, may go wrong,
that chavez is on a dangerous slope to authoritarianism, etc...

Michel