[p2p-research] a new funding mechanism for useful online services

Samuel Rose samuel.rose at gmail.com
Wed Dec 30 16:04:38 CET 2009

> It sounds mysteriously like "government."  Do people really think this will
> work?  I can think of 1000 problems almost instantly.  First, who controls
> the working release?  Governance will be a continual headache and there will
> be no clear way to identify who has the expertise and the commitment to be
> good at governance.  Second, no one will fund start-up risks--this only
> works where markets fail.  Third, you have to "nationalize" success by
> taking away risk venture incentives away from entrepreneurs.  Fourth,
> government programs are always rife with excessive start up costs and
> intensive free riding issues.  Nothing here addresses those. (And I work for
> government!)
>
> In the case of Twitter, lots of people are thinking through monetizing the
> engine now.  If it doesn't work, then it is entirely possible the owners
> will make it a co-op...a very standard and widely used market model.
>
> Sorry, but I see nothing new here at all.
> Ryan

Personally, I don't care about the funding/governance mechanisms so
much as the idea that people can pool resources and create many
distributed services. This is the part that is similar to what we are
doing with FLOWS, and what prompted me to state "wow!"

Sam Rose
Social Synergy
Tel:+1(517) 639-1552
Cel: +1-(517)-974-6451