[p2p-research] a new funding mechanism for useful online services

Ryan Lanham rlanham1963 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 30 15:32:12 CET 2009

On 12/29/09, Michel Bauwens <michelsub2004 at gmail.com> wrote:

> here's the text Ryan, which I'm reproducing on the blog
>
> see
> http://blog.p2pfoundation.net/towards-public-open-source-services-an-ingenious-p2p-funding-proposal-by-jeff-lindsay/2010/01/04
>
> since I've covered it, perhaps Sam and Sepp could have a look at the
> services mentioned at the last paragraph?
>
> Michel

It sounds mysteriously like "government."  Do people really think this will
work?  I can think of 1000 problems almost instantly.  First, who controls
the working release?  Governance will be a continual headache and there will
be no clear way to identify who has the expertise and the commitment to be
good at governance.  Second, no one will fund start-up risks--this only
works where markets fail.  Third, you have to "nationalize" success by
taking away risk venture incentives away from entrepreneurs.  Fourth,
government programs are always rife with excessive start up costs and
intensive free riding issues.  Nothing here addresses those. (And I work for
government!)

In the case of Twitter, lots of people are thinking through monetizing the
engine now.  If it doesn't work, then it is entirely possible the owners
will make it a co-op...a very standard and widely used market model.

Sorry, but I see nothing new here at all.

Ryan