[p2p-research] fakeness of recovery

Alex Rollin alex.rollin at gmail.com
Mon Dec 28 15:42:04 CET 2009

> I wonder why good software isn't coming from Latin America or Africa yet?
> There is something about peripheries and technology development that is very
> strange...even where they could amass skills, they do not.

I don't want to sound like I am too much a fan of "leading from the lower
right," as it is called in Integral Theory, or as some say 'the
technological solution," but I am continually surprised by just how much
having internet with me everywhere keeps me connected and growing.  Access,
timeliness and big picture to name a few of the benefits.

When I was in China I found scores of people who, though working in what
would be called knowledge work, didn't have internet at home.  While
traveling in Germany a few weeks ago many people told me my phone was
pretentious as I browsed looked for Metro timetables and routes.  I thought
they were being silly but, internet for all at what price is not a silly
question.

I share Michel's opinion that that some sort of social understanding is
required in order to demand the deployment of some of these technologies
that many of us have simply gotten used to.  Unless we make it fall from the
sky and self-assemble then I just don't think it will be built without a
mandate of some kind.  Lots of people who have seen my phone in action now
have one.  They see what hyper-enabled means when I use it.  Now they are
hyper-enabled, and soon, very soon, they will run into the edge of the 3G
network just as I have.  What will they do?  Discover our history of
advances (and inadequacies) in appropriate tech?  Let's hope so, and hope
they move on!