[p2p-research] Barry Yeoman's "Green-Collar Work Plan" excerpted in new issue of Utne Reader...

Ryan rlanham1963 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 27 18:02:36 CET 2009

  Sent to you by Ryan via Google Reader: Barry Yeoman's "Green-Collar
Work Plan" excerpted in new issue of Utne Reader [Terra Sigillata] via
ScienceBlogs : Combined Feed by Abel Pharmboy none at example.com on
12/27/09

Sitting back today looking at news and webcams in my former home of
Colorado had me also reflecting on the events that conspired to put me
in North Carolina. This unexpected turn in my life also opened me up to
a local community of remarkably creative people with national and
international reputations in their respective fields.

One of these people whom I am fortunate to call a local hero is
journalist Barry Yeoman. Barry was described in the Columbia Journalism
Review as, "(One of) the best unsung investigative journalists working
in print in the United States.... Yeoman specializes in becoming a part
of his subjects' lives; he works hard to dispel the image of the
parachute journalist who drops in, grabs the story, and runs."

Consistent with that description, Barry recently wrote an article for
Audubon magazine on the real-life potential for economic and workforce
revitalization by expansion of the green industry. "Green-Collar Work
Plan" has now been picked up in excerpted form for the January-February
2010 issue of Utne Reader. Barry's article is one of four focusing on
the cover theme: how to benefit financially in the green economy.

The article describes the turnaround in Newton, Iowa, from loss of
laundry appliance maker Maytag then expands to a cross-country
assessment of reharnessing manufacturing and other blue-collar
expertise for the renewable energy industry. For all the warm fuzzies
many of us get about solar energy, windfarms, and biodiesel, folks with
the big bucks are only going to invest in an industry that is
economically viable. Yeoman tells an engaging story, with several cases
where it is working, and weaves in facts of which I was previously
unaware.
Read the rest of this post... | Read the comments on this post...
Also check out the featured ScienceBlog of the week: Effect Measure

Things you can do from here:
- Subscribe to ScienceBlogs : Combined Feed using Google Reader
favorite sites