[p2p-research] Drone hacking

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 26 05:24:51 CET 2009

I think it is useful to distinguish various aspects of the state,

1. the state as instrument of  the dominant class system, this is the most
reprehensible aspect of the state, in which it commits its most terrible
acts; but we can still distinguish relatively healthy states, which take
into account the whole system, from the predatory states such as those of
Bush and Berlusconi (and unfortunately's Obama's), in which the state
becomes subservient to a predatory faction of the rulers

2. the state as reflecting the balance of forces within society, I'm
guessing this is what Andy refers to by his constraints.

Polanyy stresses in the great transformation, that no state can survive
without legitimacy and a concern for the whole of society, but obviously
this depends of civil society being strong enough, and for the weak sections
of society to be organized in their defense

If we do no not have a belief in a utopian vision of a stateless society,
which disappeared at least 5,000 years ago, then such a 'humanized' state
appears acceptable, and I'm guessing this is what Ryan experiences.

It is also my experience as a social democrat ... life for a working class
youth of two orphan parents was not bad at all until the 1980's, in which
constant social progress was 'managed' by the state in partnership with
coopted forces of the labour movement.

Of course, with Kevin Carson, though I'm much less hostile to statism
myself, I do believe that p2p self-organisation can and will replace many
current statist functions, since the global scaling of small group dynamics
is now very competitive with centralisation

3. The state as it own autonomous forces. This has both negative expressions
(as in corruption and kleptocratic states), but also positive ones. I think
Ryan refers to the many civil servants that believe in the public good, and
do extraordinary work. These people are still legion, and in many countries,
choose a state function in order to help their societies and communities.
I've met and experienced different people of this description. They are
usually a minority, but they do exist.

Michel