[p2p-research] Fwd: CubeSpawn project

Kevin Carson free.market.anticapitalist at gmail.com
Tue Dec 22 23:41:06 CET 2009

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Data Pathway <data.pathway at gmail.com>
Date: Dec 20, 2009 9:58 AM
Subject: CubeSpawn project
To: free.market.anticapitalist at gmail.com

Kevin,

I have been reading through the P2PFoundation site, it is MOST instructive!

It seems very worthwhile to contact the group and make you aware of
the project I have started:
http://www.cubespawn.com , as it appears you already have a mature
idea of the nature of the transition taking place.

No single agency will bring about this conversion from centralized
manufacturing, as we see it to day, to distributed manufacturing as is
anticipated. But I DO think that specific events could be used to
catalyze a broader awareness of, and an interest in, accelerating the
process.

I have been in touch with some of the foundations members recently,
Brian Bishop, Marcin Jakubowski, and Eric Hunting. All have rresponded
favorably to this idea.

But I need to engage the support of the whole community, pending a
favorable review of my projects objectives and state of completeness,
of course, but I know I can't do it alone.

I think the cubespawn project can serve to accelerate the adoption of
modular general manufacturing equipment in the maker community.
The objectives are to initially make inexpensive, light duty, open
source machines, get a practical set of designs published, then let
the makers take over and add, extend and modify the designs as they
see fit.

I'm not interested in the project purely for its technological merits,
I'm more interested in the social transformation it may help to usher
in.

Your feedback appreciated,
James Jones

--
Kevin Carson
Mutualist Blog:  Free Market Anti-Capitalism