[p2p-research] Drone hacking

Ryan Lanham rlanham1963 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 22 20:59:21 CET 2009

On 12/22/09, J. Andrew Rogers <reality.miner at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 10:45 AM, Andy Robinson <ldxar1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > You have also persistently dodged the key question of how the computers
> will
> > obtain sufficient quantities of data on the millions, maybe billions, of
> > marginally situated people who aren't regularly leaving a large data
> trail
> > for the programs to mine.  A question which is absolutely nodal to
> whether
> > or not these programs or of ANY use in predicting ANYTHING in about
> > two-thirds of the world.
>

> Pervasive latent and intentional sensor networks which become more
> ubiquitous every year.  Obviously not as detailed as what you have in
> the developed world, but more useful already than you likely imagine.
>
> --

Quite so.  Cell phones in Africa are the obvious case and are being used
regularly now by researchers in all sorts of ways.  Not great news for
anthropologists who wish to celebrate their primitive subjects, but it is
good news for anyone who genuinely wants to get to know a person in Darfur
in a realistic context for being a human on this planet.  Change happens.

The INSNA list covers a lot on sensors and nets...ones that are more latent
than cell phones.

A lot of these are unfortuntely deployed for military purposes.  But like
GPS, every gets the civilian apps.

Computers do not suffer from the limitation of needing one set of ears or
one set of eyes.  They are inherently extendible.  Yet in our movies and
films (like Wall-E) we give them our limitations--limitations they would
never have if/when they designed themselves.