[p2p-research] Drone hacking

Ryan Lanham rlanham1963 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 22 20:44:38 CET 2009

I agree with what follows, but it isn't that simple.  Science isn't linear.
There are starts and fits...but those are predictable sometimes.

We push in certain places, find dead ends, or seeming dead ends, and then
find another path to push somewhere else new.  Sometimes those paths
eventually link up...the history of modern physics now takes this as
standard...biology as well.

What is interesting about intelligence is that we are so poor at defining
it.  That's why the AGI guys constantly start there.  AIT has other
ends...like being Google.  Learning in schools, by the way, is hamstrung in
just the same way.  If we knew what to teach, learning it wouldn't be that
hard.  We keep changing the rules.

Thus, what is important is knowing what we want--governance.  If the purpose
of a robot is to fly a plane, we've been doing that for years.  In fact, the
Predators that started this discussion are routinely landed and flown with
precision exceeding manned missions.

AGI is curious because the purpose is to be us.  That is, we are arrogant
enough to define "us" as intelligent.  Ludicrous in my view, but that's the
current goal.  Would we be happy if a machine solved mathematical proofs?
Mathematicians have begged computer scientists to not try...mostly because
they suspect it is quite feasible.  The V-jer star trek movie played all the
heart strings on this point.

What about painting new interpretive art works?  That's simple for a
machine...but we don't care.

To me, being human is largely wrapped up in learning, acting and
experiencing--that's what I value in another piece of flesh--potential.  If
my sexual partner were a robot, would that be bad if I was fulfilled and
found it to be responsive to my needs and allowed me to be responsble to its
needs?  Who knows?  We're about to find out, though.  The same is true of
conversation.  The same is true of a game of chess.  I know a grand master
who likes playing humans because he enjoys when they make silly errors he
can pounce on?  Now where is the humanity in that equation?

If a machine can learn and reason, why do I denegrate that?  It is my peer.
If it can surpass me at reasoning and applying knowledge, at crafting poetry
and painting pictures, do I hate it because it is not flesh?  And if that is
so, what does that say about me?

--
Ryan Lanham
rlanham1963 at gmail.com