[p2p-research] Drone hacking

J. Andrew Rogers reality.miner at gmail.com
Tue Dec 22 10:09:10 CET 2009

On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 8:36 PM, Michel Bauwens <michelsub2004 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I had a talk with cognitive neuro-scientist Sarah Van Gelder in TEDx last
> month,

Sarah van Gelder is who?  There is no cognitive neuroscientist by that
name that Google is aware of.  The only person I found by that name
who was also at TED is a political activist without a hint of
cognitive (or computer) science background. Cite please....

> I asked her what she thought about the theses expounded by J. Andrew and
> given faith to by Ryan, "the brain is a machine, computer" and all
> individuals are totally predictable, given enough knowledge of math and
> computers.
>
> Her answer: "oh my god, those naive ideas have been abandoned at least since
> the 80's, no serious cognitive scientist would adhere to them"

So a quote from a fake cognitive scientist automagically invalidates
all trivially verifiable mathematical and scientific arguments? My
assertion is mathematical. If I am materially incorrect, it should be
trivial to prove it. We don't need to appeal to the flimsiest of
authority.

I realize that I am goring sacred cows, to mix a metaphor, but only in
the sense that evolutionary biologists do the same with respect to
Biblical Creationists. It is a religious belief for many people
obviously, but for me it is just a useful tool that works very well.

Unlike some other areas of discussion where I am merely an interested
amateur, I have domain expertise in this particular case. I have a
hard time getting mystical about something that has all the mystery
(to me) of balancing a checkbook. It is simple and elegant, though in
the sense that a high-order function is.

--
J. Andrew Rogers
realityminer.blogspot.com