[p2p-research] Drone hacking

Kevin Carson free.market.anticapitalist at gmail.com
Mon Dec 21 08:58:47 CET 2009

On 12/21/09, Andy Robinson <ldxar1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> "So all the critics will have to deal with a world where the very productive
> and liberating model of the last 50 years is now dying...  and that will
> lead to a lot of misery for those who never gained the worldview to be
> liberated."
>
> Holy shit, hot on the back of people being 'evil' as well... why do so many
> Americans think they live in Disney films FFS?  If you ask me, the American
> model is effective enough, but at one thing only: indoctrinating Americans
> by making them stupid.  Which leads of course to them thinking their
> worldview is 'liberating' and setting out to 'liberate' everyone else - a
> nice excuse for colonial violence.
>
> I could multiply a thousand examples of how American power has never in
> application been 'liberating' or 'productive', how it reproduces rather than
> wards off 'misery', how the worldviews of the marginal are often a hundred
> times more 'liberated' than those of American conformists...  but since my
> previous examples to this purpose have been blithely ignored (regarding how
> Iraqis experience the occupation for instance), I can see that this will
> have no impact whatsoever.

How about the millions of people who never had the chance to live
under Mossadeq rather than the Shah, under Arbenz rather than a series
of military dictators, etc.?  As for the millions of people massacred
by Suharto and Mobutu, by Central American death squads, by generals
installed in power in the Southern Cone pursuant to Operation Condor,
etc.--well, I guess they never "gained the worldview to be liberated,"
either.

The only place where the model has been even arguably liberating and
productive over the past fifty years has been the core area, which
would have been organized along lines of corporate capitalism and
formal parliamentary democracy in any case--regardless of whether or
not the rest of the world had been organized on neoliberal lines.

The world the United States has created on the periphery has been very
much a continuation of the global order the British attempted before:
to use the Third World as a source of cheap labor and raw materials.
In some ways it even continued fascist policies after WWII, as
recounted by Gabriel Kolko in The Politics of War:  removing left-wing
resistance forces from power where they'd made gains on the ground,
and replacing them with provisional governments made up of former Axis
collaborators.

--
Kevin Carson
Mutualist Blog:  Free Market Anti-Capitalism