[p2p-research] Drone hacking

Ryan Lanham rlanham1963 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 20 21:35:37 CET 2009

To my mind, it is fairly easy to say the Taliban is evil.  The left often
stumbles to make such judgments.  They wish to protect enemies of the West
regardless of how unsavory they are.

That's too bad really because it destroys the credibility of the
left...people think it is a naive POV.  Often it is.

I always hope for a sound, realistic, socially pragmatic progressive group
to rise to the fore.  Obama is about the best closest I've seen.  European
leaders are almost always hopeless naive and idealistic.  I suppose the
politicians reflect their people.  Corrupt people get corrupt governments.
Naive and idealistic people get similar governments.  What is sad is when
the match isn't apt.

On Sun, Dec 20, 2009 at 3:25 PM, J. Andrew Rogers
<reality.miner at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 20, 2009 at 11:56 AM, Kevin Carson
> <free.market.anticapitalist at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Manuel Noriega and Saddam Hussein were both CIA clients, installed by
> > the U.S., who were later cut loose when they stopped playing ball.
>

> I think that in many of these cases, all power players in the region
> are members of the Guild of Calamitous Intent.  There is quite
> literally no party the US could meaningfully or usefully support that
> is not unsavory in some way. Consequently, it is a "damned if you do,
> damned if you don't" situation where the only differentiator is
> expediency.
>
> Many (most?) times out in the real world your "choices" are all far
> from ideal. And in the case that you don't make any choice at all and
> simply ignore the situation, you get blamed for that too. Sure,
> sometimes it might be argued that bad choices were made, but that does
> not logically imply that a good choice was available. While there are
> good criticisms that can be made of many geopolitical policies
> instituted by all governments, the political idealists on both the
> left and right have a shameful and embarrassingly thin understanding
> of what goes into a real-world calculus.
>
> Reality is both murkier and more consistent than political ideology.
>
> --
> J. Andrew Rogers
> realityminer.blogspot.com

Ryan Lanham